Advice needed for bone out shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hernando

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Denver
All I could find today was bone out pork shoulders. All the bone-in's were sold (Grduation party time). What do I need to do differently (if anytihing) with a shoulder without the bone?

You don't need to do anything different. It will come out just fine following the same plan. Many people feel the bone in adds more flavor other than that the only difference i can think of is sometimes and only sometimes the boneless is trimmed more but with a butt that really shouldn't be an issue

Perfect and thank you for the quick response. I was just getting ready to throw these bad boys on.

Just be aware that some of the thinner sections will have a tendancy to want to dry out. If you have some cooking twine I would try and roll it back together and make it as uniform as possible. That way it will all cook evenly. Other than that they cook the same.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I didn't notice when I originally posted as I had not taken them out of the vaccumpak. Well I didn't have twine so I rolle dthem the best I could. I had to cook them fat up to keep them rolled. So the bark will be minimum. They are smoking now. I was starting to do them yesterday but realized it was getting to late inthe day to get em rollin'. Thanks for chiming in

I will post some Qview when they are done.

I've actually gotten to where I prefer a bone out butt. Reason being is, even though I have to roll it back up, before I do there is more surface area for my rub, and I find that I get the flavor of the rub throughout more of the pork. Works for me!

The costco around here usually only has boneless butts. Just make sure you tuck them tight when you put them on the grate then cook like a normal one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky