Adultered Foods in the 18th Century....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do understand, I put our home through a complete basement underpin. Hand dug it deeper and installed clear span beams to be able to open up the basement to include the area that was crawl space prior. Now the basement has a clear span of 20'x20'. Did a complete kitchen remodel at the same time. Because of the way it was built in 1917 the floor joists under the crawl space had to be completely replaced, long story. we lived in he-double ell that year, 1982. Then we had the flood of a life time in 1983 ane the metro capital area was without water and most streets for navigation were closed. Not much visual on thie ole girl that I haven't redone. just 2 rooms left.

We are on septic. We took the drain to septic. We actually have 2 septic tanks so that made it even more fun lol. As far as the water we only took it to where it came into house. It's 1000+ feet to my meter so that was out of the question for replacing
Wholey carp! Thats a lot of footage. Did you have it bored? I thought all of this was done with-in your home!

We are on septic. We took the drain to septic. We actually have 2 septic tanks so that made it even more fun lol. As far as the water we only took it to where it came into house. It's 1000+ feet to my meter so that was out of the question for replacing
1963? If you were in Minnesota it would be copper only to the house.

2 tanks is common in some areas. Got a pump on the grey water side to send to the field?

Yes it used to be 50/50 solder and now most all is 95/5. there are some using 100 %lead free, I should move to that but 95/5 is what I use...
Yeah, this is a controversial topic...I've heard the expensive 100% Pb-free formulations are easier to use than 95/5 so you might want to give it a whirl.
But I'm not one to speak...I've resorted to hiring a pro when I need plumbing hard soldered, although I used to DIY with the leaded stuff. But my skills deteriorated, it's really not that the safety thing got to me. We're not talking about much area (unlike leaded pipe!) and I think once the small surface area of alloy exposed to the water leaches away the first dozen monolayers of Pb, the remaining 99.9% of the alloy making up the joint is pretty stable. I should probably do an actual calc before I claim that...but my brain has been damaged by my previous plumbing work. :emoji_laughing:
I still use 50/50 in electronics. My only problem there is seeing the darn little stuff. But I sure don't hold the stuff in my mouth any more and try to remember to wash my hands afterwards.

I expect Pex itself to be the next money sucker (lawyer) ad for "you may be entitled".
Lawyers already on many rounds of the pex fittings class action lawsuits.

Why is that? They fail a lot? My house has all that brittle old CPVC crap.
Nothing like water shooting across the room because you snapped the toilet intake valve off the wall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky