Adding wood chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin8967

Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I have a 30" MES and I'm about to do my first Boston butt.  How often do you think I will need to add new wood chips?

The general time frame is 30-45 minutes. The key is making sure you have burned what is in the tray before adding more. If you add too many they will spill on to the element and catch fire. Also, only put in as much as the loader will hold. Don't try to force more into the unit. the 1/2 cup of chips that it holds may seem small but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
i have a mes 30 also,i will say every 30 minutes,it's been a while since loaded wood chips,i went to the amnps with the mail box mod,can get about 8 hours of smoke without touching it that way,but all in all the same results.good luck

Reactions: kevin8967
MES 30 here too. Smoked over a year feeding chips every 40 min or so. Had some great smokes. But I just got the AMZNPS, used it for the first time on Easter. It is AMZN! You'll wind up getting one too, but until then you can still have some great smokes as is. I would just watch the smoke, when it stops-add more chips. If in doubt, I keep a flashlight handy, pull out the chip loader and look inside to make sure all is burnt. Happy smokin', David.

Last edited:
Yeah,  I have been looking at the AMZNPS and will be upgrading when I get the chance.  I guess for now I'll be tied to my smoker!

Reactions: beartoo
Keep in mind that for a boston butt you don't need to keep the smoke going the entire time. Once that thing reaches 160 degrees I have no problem letting the smoke run out. 4-6 hours of good consistent smoke will give your food plenty of smoke flavor (at least for my taste).

Reactions: beartoo
B Maddox,

You know I was wondering about that. That is great advice.  Thanks.  I have a 7 lbs boston butt I will be smoking and was told it may take up to 12 hours to smoke.  Does that sound right?

B Maddox,

You know I was wondering about that. That is great advice.  Thanks.  I have a 7 lbs boston butt I will be smoking and was told it may take up to 12 hours to smoke.  Does that sound right?
12 hours or more (or less). There are so many variables it is hard to predict. The time can change based on cook temp, foiling through the stall, and the piece of meat itself. If you give yourself 2 hours per pound then 2 hours extra to rest you should have ample time (at least 9 out of 10 times). If it is done too early then just wrap it in foil and set it in a cooler with some towels to keep it warm for hours.

My first time also using MES, do I need to empty used chip tray before I load more to loader?...

My first time also using MES, do I need to empty used chip tray before I load more to loader?...
As long as you started your smoke with an empty tray, then no. It will hold enough ash to get you thru even a long smoke.

just make sure the chips are burnt before adding more.

Last edited:

I would if your gonna use the chip tray... The only down side to using the chips is ya have to reload every 30-45 min. A lot of MES owners will get an AMNPS, with pellets or dust you can get good smoke for 8+ hrs usually ! That way ya don't have to be continually adding chips !

I would if your gonna use the chip tray... The only down side to using the chips is ya have to reload every 30-45 min. A lot of MES owners will get an AMNPS, with pellets or dust you can get good smoke for 8+ hrs usually ! That way ya don't have to be continually adding chips !
The AMNPS is def the way to go. I think every MES owner eventually gets one, I love mine. But until then, you can still have some good smokes-just more work!

The AMNPS is def the way to go. I think every MES owner eventually gets one, I love mine. But until then, you can still have some good smokes-just more work!

No argument here, I totally agree with ya !

Hi!

I live in East Helena MT - 4250 ft

I'am not too far from ya, just an hour or so from W. Yellowstone.... I'd suggest if you get the AMNPS to go with the dust & not the pellets ! Pellets don't burn well at these higher altitudes...

Now let me edit, the pellets burn great in the tube smoker just not the AMNPS.... But with the MES, go with the AMNPS as the inventor of it created it specifically for the MES !

Last edited:
You guys rock! Thanks for the great (and quick) replies! I am right in the middle of my 1st smoking - Jeff's boubon smoked chuck roast 2 hours along - and all of a sudden panicked!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky