Adding Door Latch(s) to MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brianlhobbs

Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Indianapolis
I have seen mention of adding additional door latches to the MES. However, I can not find anything about where to obtain these latches. Should I just call Masterbuilt and order from them? Or is there a better source?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,
I bought a couple from McMaster-Carr. You might want to compare the price at Masterbuilt or hunt around for "adjustable draw latches" to see if they are cheaper anywhere. The SS ones are a little pricey, 1864A27, is a little larger that the original and cost around $13 each. The size under that one should work fine also.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

If you go to page 2913, adjustable draw latches.

check out the over center that i use on my doors can get them from graingers mcmaster carr or airgas they run around 8 bucks each.

Thanks for the suggestions. After looking closely at the "stock" door latch, it looks like it's held in place with #8-32 SS screws going into "Screwserts" (sp?). Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the little "threaded pop-rivet like" things that you use to secure a screw into thin metal.

I looked at the two latch sizes at McMaster-Carr, mentioned by DaveNH. Then to compare pricing, I called Masterbuilt. Masterbuilt sells the "stock" stainless latches (with screws and "mounting hardware") for $9.99.

So, I ordered from Masterbuilt. I am curious to see what exactly is "mounting hardware". Maybe it is some type of screwsert.

Will report what I actually get later,
Brian

Hi Brian,
Good going. Better price, includes hardware and will match the originals
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky