Adding Door Latch(s) to MES

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by brianlhobbs, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I have seen mention of adding additional door latches to the MES. However, I can not find anything about where to obtain these latches. Should I just call Masterbuilt and order from them? Or is there a better source?

Thanks,

Brian

2. davenh

davenh Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hi Brian,
    I bought a couple from McMaster-Carr. You might want to compare the price at Masterbuilt or hunt around for "adjustable draw latches" to see if they are cheaper anywhere. The SS ones are a little pricey, 1864A27, is a little larger that the original and cost around $13 each. The size under that one should work fine also.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

If you go to page 2913, adjustable draw latches.

3. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

check out the over center that i use on my doors can get them from graingers mcmaster carr or airgas they run around 8 bucks each.

4. Thanks for the suggestions. After looking closely at the "stock" door latch, it looks like it's held in place with #8-32 SS screws going into "Screwserts" (sp?). That’s the little "threaded pop-rivet like" things that you use to secure a screw into thin metal.

I looked at the two latch sizes at McMaster-Carr, mentioned by DaveNH. Then to compare pricing, I called Masterbuilt. Masterbuilt sells the "stock" stainless latches (with screws and "mounting hardware") for $9.99.

So, I ordered from Masterbuilt. I am curious to see what exactly is "mounting hardware". Maybe it is some type of screwsert.

Will report what I actually get later,
    Brian

5. davenh

davenh Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hi Brian,
    Good going. Better price, includes hardware and will match the originals [​IMG].

6. vlap

vlap Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those latches are just what I need for my brinkman vertical!!!! I got a few mods lined up now [​IMG]