Addicted. 5th smoke, chuck roast.. Off to a rough start

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biggqwesty

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
mount Gambier, south Australia
So it's my little ones 2nd birthday today so having a lunch party and then a pulled beef for tea.
So bought a 2.1kg chuck roast and marinaded over night in a salt pepper perprika and fenal. A base of the mustard and patted on.

So up at 430am trying to lite the dam cooker and no bloody luck.
Turns out I've bought heating brickets not cooking and they won't stay burning unless alight. Ffs. Owell..
Aborted and back to bed lol.
So up at 7 am. Presents, pancake breakfast and down the shops to buy the right ones.

So got it lit around 8 am and stable at 105-110 c and threw the roasts in at around 10.
I've cut this slab now in half to try and reduce the cook time.

I'm trying no water bath this time to see how it goes. It's more a blokes meal tonight for the boys so a bit of bark won't hurt.

Anyway. Sorry no picks yet due to the stuff around. I'll take some at half cook..
Cheers

Sorry for the rough time.

At around 160F or 71 C I would wrap in foil with some broth to speed up the cook.

Tried pushing threw but it's struggled all day today. Due to the party I had to have to cooker in the elements and with sun wind and rain it just struggled.
Pushed it threw to 530pm and it just hit 80c it..
Wrapped and stuck in the oven at 200c.. Pulled them out at 620pm at 93c and now resting.
I'll take a pic before pulling. They look nice

Some shots.
f30c18a8674a0fca0c38aeff6d2a6a34.jpg

Being a chuck it didn't pull nicely so I diced it up. But omg it was moist and tender.
No complaints around the table again. Always a bonus.
And left overs. Love leftover sangas.
Cheers

Hey GQ.. they look very tasty... Thumbs Up

a little forums help here.. next time you need to edit a post for misspelled words or what ever... in the bottom left hand corner of your post you will see a pencil with an eraser... just click on that to edit instead of posting again to correct yourself....

Hey GQ.. they look very tasty... Thumbs Up

a little forums help here.. next time you need to edit a post for misspelled words or what ever... in the bottom left hand corner of your post you will see a pencil with an eraser... just click on that to edit instead of posting again to correct yourself....

Thanks mate. Using tappatalk and strangely there is no edit option on here..

I love a pulled chucky burrito.  Yours look good GQ.  I may try your cubing next time. 
icon14.gif

Yea I tried pulling it but I think the sinew threw the middle of it made the job hard. It wasn't chewy when diced but didn't shread

Last edited:

The chuck's I have smoked have all shredded OK.  Tougher than Pork, but still shred-able.  The bone tends to not pull as smooth and clean as pork but still not bad.  I have been foiling them at around 175* F, and they probe tender around 205 to 210* F. 

Burrito,

Looks good. What do you think about using Taco seasoning as a rub for burritos/tacos? Anyone try that?

e65476f93fba9a90982ba20ce5ce6f8c.jpg
8a7508139d83ce9d972ff899e3c92e3c.jpg
cdc868dda6553c4e76d470097ceba27e.jpg

This was my first smoke but this is a rump roast. Smoked on grates til IT was 150 then placed in a pan with onions and a about 2 cups of chicken broth. Covered with foil and let it go back on the smoker till IT was at 215. It was very tender and shreddable.

ca2c7197115d876bd1f111130d142f4b.jpg

Here is is shredded. Im sharing cause I was afraid to go as high as 215 but with the pan and liquid it worked out great. My first risk paid off and my guests were pleased.

Looking good DSBroussard.  I wrote that I foiled, but actually do use a pan with apple juice covered with foil.  I will look at rump roast's next time I'm at the grocer.  I don't think that we will see cheap beef for a year or two.  Chuck is down there as low as we get round here, for the most part.

I too only use S&P for beef. Taco seasoning might be good when using for Mexican food. I'll try it soon.
I should have added in my prior post about seasoning that it seams to me that it will take a lot of seasoning to get over that strong beef flavor of Chuck, and I haven't dedicated an entire Chuck to Mexican flavor, yet, and so have just stuck to a simple domino seasoning on Chuck's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky