Add chips for how long???

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by saltydog806, Nov 15, 2009.

1. saltydog806

saltydog806 Newbie

I am a beginner to smoking and have never done a Turkey. We have an extra self basting Turkey that I want to practice on. I believe I have found the answers to most of my questions, however I have two to ask at this point (I'm sure I'll have more after my first bird). [​IMG]

1.With a 5 to 6 hour cook time (10-12lb) do I add wood chips/chunks throughout the cooking time and if so how much & how often? I realize that there are alot of variables (type of wood, cooker, how much smoke flavor I like ect). I'm just looking for a good starting point If I'm useing Mesquite.

2. When adding more charcoal do I need to always get it started first or can I add small amounts that haven't been started?

I have a Charbroil (drum style) with a Smoke box attached on the side.

Nice to be here [​IMG]

2. Four hours of smoke is plenty in my opinion. Others may disaree but I feel that beyond four hours in most cases is to heavy a smoke flavor.

Scott

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'll answer your questions this way.

1.With a 5 to 6 hour cook time (10-12lb) do I add wood chips/chunks throughout the cooking time and if so how much & how often? I realize that there are alot of variables (type of wood, cooker, how much smoke flavor I like ect). I'm just looking for a good starting point If I'm useing Mesquite. Yes I would add chips/chunks the whole time for the bird will alway accept the smokey flavor. If your useing woods like hickory or mequite I would cut back alittle bit for they ae some strong woods.
    2. When adding more charcoal do I need to always get it started first or can I add small amounts that haven't been started? I add my charcaol right out of the bag and let the exisitng fire start it as well. So don't let your fire go out before adding new charcoal
    I have a Charbroil (drum style) with a Smoke box attached on the side.

Well I hope that helped you with your smoke but if you have any more questions just post it here and someone will answer it for you.