Add chips for how long???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltydog806

Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
I am a beginner to smoking and have never done a Turkey. We have an extra self basting Turkey that I want to practice on. I believe I have found the answers to most of my questions, however I have two to ask at this point (I'm sure I'll have more after my first bird).
biggrin.gif

1.With a 5 to 6 hour cook time (10-12lb) do I add wood chips/chunks throughout the cooking time and if so how much & how often? I realize that there are alot of variables (type of wood, cooker, how much smoke flavor I like ect). I'm just looking for a good starting point If I'm useing Mesquite.

2. When adding more charcoal do I need to always get it started first or can I add small amounts that haven't been started?

I have a Charbroil (drum style) with a Smoke box attached on the side.

Nice to be here
icon_smile.gif

I'll answer your questions this way.

1.With a 5 to 6 hour cook time (10-12lb) do I add wood chips/chunks throughout the cooking time and if so how much & how often? I realize that there are alot of variables (type of wood, cooker, how much smoke flavor I like ect). I'm just looking for a good starting point If I'm useing Mesquite. Yes I would add chips/chunks the whole time for the bird will alway accept the smokey flavor. If your useing woods like hickory or mequite I would cut back alittle bit for they ae some strong woods.
2. When adding more charcoal do I need to always get it started first or can I add small amounts that haven't been started? I add my charcaol right out of the bag and let the exisitng fire start it as well. So don't let your fire go out before adding new charcoal
I have a Charbroil (drum style) with a Smoke box attached on the side.

Well I hope that helped you with your smoke but if you have any more questions just post it here and someone will answer it for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky