Adapting BB Ribs from Oven to Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lbc970

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2014
Carbondale, CO
I am looking into making a fairly unique BB rib recipe, but the inspiration is from a recipe for ribs in the oven. I am hoping to adapt the recipe for use on a UDS. Here is what I am starting with...

Step 1:

Drizzle oil on ribs, rub, then sear in hot pan on stove.

Step 2:

Saute some onion, garlic and bacon in another pan, add a few spices, then add ribs, chicken stock, pork stock, bring to a boil, then cover with foil and bake about 2 hours. Then refrigerate overnight.

Step 3: 

Next day, preheat oven and bake ribs about 15 minutes. Drizzle with some juice and salt, and serve. 

My problem here is the overnight thing and the boiling thing. This whole thing needs to take less than 6 hours from unwrapping the meat to plating it. I also want it done on the smoker, and not in the oven. So, here is what I am thinking...

Step 1:

Drizzle oil, apply rub, then combine already cooked ingredients from step 2 with the ribs in an airtight wrap somehow. Minus the pork and chicken stock, too salty I think. Let sit in fridge for about 90 minutes. 

Step 2:

Smoke ribs at 225* for about 2 hours over some hickory and black cherry

Step 3:

Wrap ribs in foil and place back in the smoker for about an hour.

Step 4:

Sear ribs on hot grill, then drizzle juice and sprinkle salt, and serve.

Do you guys have any suggestions or tips, maybe something I am missing or shouldn't be doing? I am going to have two tries at this recipe before I have to make it count. 

Thanks!

Cody

Cody, here's what I'd do:

Step 1:

Drizzle oil on ribs, rub.

Step 2:

Blend onion, garlic, bacon, a few spices, and a little chicken stock in a blender, cover ribs with the marinade, foil then refrigerate overnight.

Step 3: 

Next day, preheat smoker to 225F.  Wash marinade off meat, sprinkle with oil and spices.  Smoke for 6 hours at 225-235F until you get a nice bend test.

Serve with favorite sauce.

Enjoy!

Ray   

NoBoundaries, I like the blender idea, the problem is the overnight marinade. This is for a local comp, and the meat has to be untouched at the 7am check in.

I'm thinking if I vacuum pack the ribs with the blendered marinade for 90 minutes, it might be enough to get the flavor into the ribs.

Ahhh, details.

Since this is a comp my recommendation would be to go with what you know and do best, not experiment with something new.  That said, I don't compete, just eat, so I'll tap out at this point.  The absolute last thing I'd want is to give you advice that could get you DQ'd. 

Ahhh, details.

Since this is a comp my recommendation would be to go with what you know and do best, not experiment with something new.  That said, I don't compete, just eat, so I'll tap out at this point.  The absolute last thing I'd want is to give you advice that could get you DQ'd. 

Going with what I know and do best is good advice, I just want this entry to stand out. I'm ggoing to have a few chances to try and perfect the recipe before the comp, and if all else fails, I have a fallback recipe.

And not matter if it's a comp or not, smoking is smoking, and I do appreciate your input. Thanks for the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky