Achieving the famous blue smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin1979

Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Fort Worth, Tx
Hello everyone,

I have a question to throw out there. I've heard that with an offset stick burner that the blue smoke flumes coming out of the chimney are the most desirable for smoking. My question is how do you get the blue smoke and how do you maintain it over long cooks, 14 - 18 hrs? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thin blue smoke is what you are looking for . When you start your fire you will have a heavy white smoke . Once the sticks burn down and turn to coals ,you will see the smoke thin out and get a blue tinge. You will have to see when and how much wood to add to maintain your heat / smoke. When you add a log it will smoke heavily for a couple of min, and then should go back to thin blue smoke.

It might waste a bit of wood, but i would recommend a few trail runs w/ no meat in the smoker to get your procedures down pat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky