Accidentally submerged probe braided wire in sink. Should I be worried?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cheesetoast

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
I recently bought an wireless thermometer and while I was cleaning the metal end of the probe, I didnt realize a portion of the braided side (wire) was submerged in water in the sink. Should I be worried that can be broken? I plan to not use the probe for a week so it can completely dry so I can test it.

I always get mine wet when I wash it and have never had a problem.
nice. I am new using the wireless thermometer and I enjoy it. Just hope it didnt break on my 1st attempt. I hear the probe manufacture do care about their customers so if anything goes bad, I'll contact them.

Usually more of a concern if you get the area where wire meets the probe wet. Do that and your begging for prove failure.

Usually more of a concern if you get the area where wire meets the probe wet. Do that and your begging for prove failure.

Its just got the middle portion of the wires submerged. I did wipe the wire/probe with a lightly moist watered towel to wipe off the smoke grease off. After researching, I think its better to wipe the wire with alcohol. *crosses fingers*

Reactions: jcam222 and buzzy
I've gotten mine wet here and there when washing. I just let it dry thoroughly before using again. Never had a problem.

Reactions: negolien
I’ve also gotten mine wet with no issues. I suppose the silver lining is that the probes are replaceable when they finally go.....

Reactions: negolien
I’ve heard this before. I have about 3 screwed up FireBoard probes. I’m going to have to try this on them

Let us know if it works. I've got probably 5 or 6 digital probe thermometers dating back 25 years or so. Whenever a probe has 'failed' by getting wet, heating them in the oven always fixes them and I've never had to throw one out. Water getting inside shorts out the wires - you just need to get the water out.

I can't speak for all brands but Maverick 732 Probes were notorious for dying if you got water in the probe. I never tried Baking mine but even after drying for several weeks in a kitchen drawer, it never worked again...JJ

Reactions: jmtyndall
I never tried Baking mine but even after drying for several weeks in a kitchen drawer, it never worked again...JJ

Jimmy, they won't dry out just laying there - you need to get it hot enough so that the water will boil off.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've moved on but thanks for the Education...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky