ABTs too hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you ribbed them, I don't think there is much else you could have done.  I find that the heat factor of japs varies tremendously even from one week to another from the same store.  Its kind of a crap shoot.

Soak the de-seeded & de-ribbed peppers in milk prior to filling... this will mellow out the peppers. I suggest doing 1/2 a batch soaked in milk & the other half without. You will notice the difference!

For me the hotter the better but if the girls dont like them you are in trouble - I have tried the milk process and found that it did work a little but like others have said you have little to no control

I hollow out some mushrooms and put the filling in them, then wrap with bacon. Wife and kids get the shrooms, I get the ABT's... lol. You could also try the yellow wax peppers, they are much milder, but about the same size a the jalapenos.

not sure it would work but since dairy seems to be the heat cure, maybe you could stuff with some cream cheese along with whatever else you want to put in them.

Thanks boys. I like the idea of a milk bath. Those suckers were hot but oh so delicious. Its always fun tweaking the process isnt it? I think Ive scared my beautiful sous chef off of ABTs but maybe if I explain that my friends have improved my recipe then maybe I can convince her to try them again hahaha.

Soak overnight in salt water in the fridge.You can also add some flavored vinegar for some flavor. Overnight will not be the same as pickled jals. They will still be crisp but some of the heat will be eradicated.
icon_cool.gif
 Personally I like them hot.  

Pour a cup of cider vinegar and a cup of water in a pan and bring to a boil. Drop your peppers in. The longer they stay, the milder they become.  1:30 to 2 mins leaves a little heat, but mellows them out nicely, 5 mins or more and they are totally neutered. When you reach your desired time drop them in an ice bath to stop the cooking and firm them up a little before stuffing them. I use this method all the time and it works great for me. Experiment to dial them in to your liking.

I knew you would be along with the simplistic point of view - I agree but not everyone is a stud like you

Maybe he should post up some pics of the girls before you make final judgement - just sayin maybe there is another solution
icon_mrgreen.gif

I knew you would be along with the simplistic point of view - I agree but not everyone is a stud like you

Maybe he should post up some pics of the girls before you make final judgement - just sayin maybe there is another solution
icon_mrgreen.gif
damn pacifist!
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

icon_cool.gif

I would try some of the remedies for making the japs alittle less hot. But I have found that where you buy them is also a way to get milder japs. We have 3 big chain grocery store within about 5 mile from us. But if we go to Winn Dixie the japs aren't as hot as if we go to Publix, Wally World. Now the farmer market is also a good place to find some japs and alot of the time the good folks there will let  us taste them too. But we go almost every weekend too

Do the milk soak on the ones you want to take the heat out of... even an hour.... then don't rinse them. Just pull them from the milk and stuff em up and wrap em up and smoke em up. If they aren't hot enough for you, cut you a slice of fresh pepper and put on top.... that will heat it back up. Keep the girls.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky