ABT's and Stuffed Mushrooms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
So I tried the ABT's this weekend using both Jalapeños as well as mini-sweet bell peppers. I also did some small mushrooms (they were labeled as mini portabella's, but they didn't really taste the same as the real deal). I concocted a simple recipe as to not take away from the flavors of the peppers and bacon:
1 package cream cheese
3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Fresh ground pepper (dash or 2)

For the mushrooms I did the same thing, but added some fresh chopped bacon bits.

The peppers were capped, halved, seeded and scraped with a spoon; stuffed and wrapped with bacon.

Cooked for about an hour or so at 225 with some oak and cherry. Cooked the mushrooms without the stuffing for about 30 minutes cap side up. Flipped, spritzed with EVOO, and stuffed. Cooked for another 30 minutes then sprinkled some sharp cheddar. Cooked until the cheddar melted.

My opinion was the Jalapeños were very mild and flavorful, and the sweet peppers were a bit bitter for my taste. However, my wife thought the Jalapeños were too hot, and she loved the sweet peppers. So to each his/her own.

In any event, I would have never thought of the concept of wrapping the peppers with bacon, but the flavors really worked well. I'm not sure who the inventor of the ABT's is, but thank you guys again for great information.

Hey Josh, as long as both you and your wife were happy, as you say, to each , their own. I was curious about some sweet red bell peppers. I will try them and hope they won't be bitter.
icon_smile.gif
Terry

Terry -

Red bells are much sweeter than green ones. If you don't cook green ones until they get mushy they don't get bitter

Hey Debi, thanks, for some reason, I LOVE, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, I can eat them like apples, yet, I can't stomach green bells. Perhaps its due to my young years when mom would slice a green pepper in half(45 years ago, there was NOTHING but green peppers), and stuff it with rice and hambuger and bake it. Good Lord! I could wolf my cookies thinkin about it!
eek.gif
Terry

Holy cow!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
Our Mom's must have had the same recipe! And, it appears our reactions to even hearing about it again are the same!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky