A-Maze-N pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muddydogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Ogden Utah
I have a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain gas smoker and have a hard time getting smoke when smoking summer sausage or jerky at 180 degrees. I have tried setting the cast iron chip pan almost on the burner but I just don't think there is enough heat to burn saw dust or pellets even dry saw dust.

I was thinking about picking up an A-Maze-N smoker to try. Has anyone used this smoker in a GOSM smoker? I figure I will have to raise the A-Maze-N above the gas ring but since I can't get pellets to smoke anyway I could probably just set the A-Maze-N on the rack used to hold the original pellet tray or even turn the rack over to get a couple extra inches of height off the gas ring.

I don't have a GOSM, but I have a master built gasser, and use the A-Maz-N tube in mine. I did try the tray, and it wouldn't stay lit, even with the mailbox mod.

I mainly use my gasser as a cold smoke cabinet, but still use it for my SS every yr with the tube. Works great.

I have a Cajun Injector gasser and have used the AMNPS tray twice now with no issues. I have adjustable vents on the bottom of each side near the burner. I keep them half way open so the AMNPS gets some oxygen/air flow. If you don't have vents on the bottom, the AMNPS may struggle to stay lit as the burner will use up most of the oxygen.

I placed the AMNPS tray on top of the original chip tray and on the bottom each and it worked great each time.

Todd recommends using the tube smokers in the gas smokers. I have a wide body GOSM, and I use the tube smokers, and have one of each size. the 18" tube gets the most smoke time 8-10 hours smoking sausage and jerky. The new expando tube works good too 6-8 hours fully extended and fully loaded.

For hotter temps smokes the tubes will still work up to a pit temp of 285°. Above that the pellets will ignite and burn instead of smolder. I place mine either in the water pan or on a cast iron griddle that site right above the burner, where the chip pan would go. For hotter smokers I move the tube up to where the lowest rack can be positioned.

I have two side vents as well as an opening where the burner mounts to the bottom of the unit so I should have good air flow. I just couldn't wait this morning and pushed the buy button on the tray as well as the Bayou needle valve regulator so I will give the tray a try. I wouldn't mind having a tube smoker or two to throw in the barbecue for a quick light smoke when cooking burgers and other meats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky