A few pics of what we did last weekend...

Discussion in 'Pork' started by pigpen, May 13, 2010.

1. pigpen

pigpen Newbie

We had a fundraiser for my wifes church youth group and they sold 68 shoulders. We fired the pit at 8pm thursday and cooked till 8am saturday. These were cooked fat and naked(fat cap still on and no rub)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Great cause [​IMG] I'm sure it was fun we did one awhile back with about that many butts except we had to rub them all.

3. smokey paul

smokey paul Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Wow Piney 68 butt to rub how did you hold up lol
    Good smoke wow BIG rig...
    Good job...

4. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]Good job on the mass of pork there.

5. mythmaster

mythmaster Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That's awesome! [​IMG]

6. rc1991

rc1991 Smoke Blower

Now that's a lotta pork! Looks awesome!

7. cajunsmoke13

cajunsmoke13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Now that is nice...Awesome PP....[​IMG][​IMG]

8. That's an incredible amount of Butts. Good job!!

9. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]Well done

10. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thats a Butt load of pork. Pun intended. [​IMG]Did you have another rig or did you have to do them all on that one? Nice looking setup!

11. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    nice smoke and great cause!

12. pigpen

pigpen Newbie

Some of the buyers were older and didnt need the extra sugar and salt so we just didnt dress any of them. We cooked them all on this pit in 2 cookings. It ate a ton of fuel to cook that much meat.

13. outlaw44

outlaw44 Fire Starter

Looks delicious!!! Did you have trouble with even heating with that much on the grate?

14. pigpen

pigpen Newbie

Yes we did, we had to jockey the meat around every 3 hrs or so. I am adding some tuning plates to help with that next time.

15. peixegato

peixegato Smoke Blower

Nice set-up you had there. Did you have a lot of company for the overnight smoke?

When you do pork for fund raisers, how do you price the end product? You do sandwiches? Any sides? What do you charge? How much meat do you put on each plate?

16. pigpen

pigpen Newbie

Me and Danny were there both days and had several people stop in during the nights to chat. Butts were presold at $25 each and I cooked plenty of extras. I smoked them in the parking lot of my wifes restaurant and she sold plates/sides inside. Each plate gets 6oz of pulled pork, 5.5oz of each side, 2 oz of sauce on the side, and 2pc white bread(the cheap kind not the round top we use in the restaurant). Plates were $5.99.

17. forktender

forktender Meat Mopper

Damn that looks awesome.
    thank you for the portion size and pricing break down.[​IMG]

18. peixegato

peixegato Smoke Blower

Sounds like a good deal all the way around!

19. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

WOW !
    Great Job ! ------------->>>[​IMG]

Amazing that you can get 34 Butts through the danger zone at one time. My MES is lucky to get 2 through there.

Thanks for showing,
    Bearcarver

20. pigpen

pigpen Newbie

Unless you are running really hot most cookers will not bring any pork shoulder through the danger zone in the HD alloted 1 hour time thats why we take it past the safe zone for extended periods.