A Fattie and the Deer........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matts

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Central Illinois
got up this morning and starting thinking about lunch and supper.  So I figured to start the smoker with a couple things.  I picked a fattie and a deer roast.  The kids wanted tater tots for breakfast so while I was eating some of those I started making the fattie.  Still not knowing what I was going to put in it, I found some ham, some cheese and what the heck, how about some tots.  Now that lunch is figured out, I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do for supper.  I have been craving some ground meat spread.  OK, if you don't know what I am talking about, its taking your left over roast or whatever, grind it up in your food processor and mix it with some mayo or whatever you want till you get a nice spread.  I do this a lot with the wifes roast, but I have never used smoked meat, let alone smoked anything purposly for this.  But today was the day.  I took that deer roast and gave it a healthy coat of Jeff's rub and let it sit for a while.  Then everything went into the smoke.

218ded6b_0619000923.jpg

After about 4 hours, the fattie was done and was one heck of a lunch.

db7185f2_0619001321.jpg

08cd56a3_0619001324.jpg

Now comes the deer.  Cooked it up to around 160ish and then foiled it.  Was spritzing with a mix of kiwi-strawberry juice box, wor sauce and Captain M a few times prior to foil.  Took the temp up to about 195 and pulled it out.

It looked and tasted great as it was, but thats not what I wanted.

8f6c9b1b_0619001914.jpg

Now I cut it up and grind it up.  Mixed in some mayo and some pickle relish and in the fridge to chill.  This was the best ever.  The combo of the rub, smoke and everything else was awesome.  I have done this with bbq and other stuff as well, its all good.

75bb1997_0619001942.jpg

cool.gif

Very nice there Matt. I really like the venison meat spread. I have never had or made something like that. You just also have to love them fatties.

Beautiful fattie! What a great idea about the meat spread! That's got my mind spinning with ideas! That's what I love about this place, you can get such cool ideas ! Thanks for sharing, and tater tots are awesome. I like to wrap a half a piece of bacon around them, cook in the oven til the bacon is nice and crispy.

I gotta pass on the venison though, I ate tons of that growing up and I just can't do it captain! I haven't got the power! Or the stomach.

Oh yea, when I read the title A fattie and the deer.... my first thought was ....walked into a bar.... LOL!

Last edited:
I usually don't do the spread with deer as I never really have left overs of that.  Its just as good with any other roast.  Give me a box of ritz and a bowl of this stuff and I am happy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky