A Couple More Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 3, 2008
Far Northern California
Didn't have any more pulled pork in the freezer so it was time to smoke a couple of butts. Started a couple 5 poundish ones this morning at 6:30.

Scored the fat cap a la Capt Dan . . .

and did them fat cap up on the drum using Kingsford Comp and some hickory Chunks. Spritzed around every hour or so after the first 2 with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and Captain Morgans.

Here they are a about a hour or so before foiling.

I was trying to run the temps a little lower than normal since I didn't have the fat cap to protect the bottom of the meat. I have also started using a steel deflector plate on top of the charcoal basket (a la Geek With Fire)
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
to (in my case) disrupt the vertical updraft of air. It makes my drum much easier to control now. Before it always wanted to creep up in temp and it was difficult if not impossible to get it back down. Now with the plate, it is very responsive although a bit finicky.
biggrin.gif

I foiled them at around 170° and pulled them off at about 200°. They came off at about 5:30 -- took 11 hours which didn't surprise me too much since I was running a little lower temps than normal.

Let them rest in the cooler for an hour then took them out.

Bones dropped right out and they shredded real easy.

They even finished in time for dinner.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for looking.

Dave

They look great Dave nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Those are some mighty fine looking butts there Dave. They were good and yummy I bet

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky