A Couple Butt Shots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

watery eyes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2007
Detroit Suburbs
Finally got around to doing a Boston Butt for my wife today.

Started off at 8:00 and used Hickory - Apple - Maple as the smoking woods. At the same time I did 6 large split chicken breasts. Boston Butt was rubbed down with mustard and then coated with Meowey's Pork Rub. That rub is awesome and really easy to make and convert for your needs. Butt was up on top and being temperature monitored with my new digital thermometer. Temp in the GOSM was 225 for the Butt and 250 for the Chicken Breasts. I sprayed everything on the hour with a apple juice - pineapple juice - Bacardi mix.

Breasts came off a little after 12:00pm and really looked good. I foiled them and then started putting together a Meatloaf and two Fatties. The Fatties came off about 3:30 and the Meatloaf ran until about 5:30 and was great for dinner. I continued to spray everything on the hour with a apple juice - pineapple juice - Bacardi mix.

At that time I had been in the temperature plateau since 4:00 at 160 degrees when we got hit by a big storm. The GOSM held it's flame and temp throughout and I was really impressed by it's ability to operate in high winds without issues. I finally moved off plateau after 6:00 and hit 175 on temp. I then foiled the Butt with a generous dab of apple juice and had 200 degrees a little over an hour later. I coolered the Butt with two towels for 2 hours and then let the wife get busy pulling.

Temp was still very high when we un-foiled the Butt and the bark was very dark making me think I might have burned her a little. My wife was able to hand pull most of the meat with a finger dance every once in a while due to heat but got more meat from the Butt than we expected. Put some of SoFla's Finishing Sauce on the pulled meat and enjoyed a few tastes......mmmmmm that's good Butt!!!

Pictures of the Butt below after coming out of the cooler and again after the pull:

Thank's to everyone for their help over the last couple weeks and for your generosity in posting your successes and recipes for great sauces and rubs. I really like the fact that when I need a quick rub or sauce recipe - all I have to do is a quick search of the forum and I have what I need made 5 to 30 minutes later.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Watery Eyes

Id say looking good there, good to see another GOSM user out there liking his smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky