A Chuckie A Meatloaf and some Moinks walk into a bar with Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok so they didn't walk into a bar, but they did walk into my mouth. But now that I've got your attention. All three of these are firsts for me. I've been wanting to do the meatloaf and chuck roast for a loooong time. Today I was only planning on doing a meatloaf but when I went to the store I saw a 3lb Chuck Tender Roast on sale for $2.89lb from $3.99. So I decided to go for it. I also decided to make extra meatloaf mix and try my hand at some Moinks since I was already half way there.

Here we go...
Here's my haul from the store. 3lbs of 85/15 ground beef (too lean I'm thinking for a long cook) so I decided I'd add 1 lb of ground pork sausage to the loaf
ry%3D400

here's the chuckie...
ry%3D400

in addition to the ground beef and the pork I added in 5 pieces of chopped bacon, two cloves of freshly chopped garlic and a quarter of large vidallia onion which I precooked then cooled before I made the rest of the loaf.
ry%3D400

meanwhile I rubbed the roast with EVOO and some Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning. I let this sit for an hour while I got the WSM ready to roll.
ry%3D400

I'm using the Minion Method using Kingsford Charwood Lump and a combo of Cherry and Hickory chunks.
ry%3D400

back to the loaf prep. 3lbs of ground beef, 1lb of ground pork sausage, 2 eggs, 1 sleeve of crushed Toasteds Onion crackers, 2Tbs of soy sauce, 2 Tbs of Worchestshire sauce, 4 Tbs Gates Origional BBQ sauce, and the bacon/onion mixture I made earlier.
ry%3D400

Put about 2.5 pounds of the loaf into a pan to sit and form
ry%3D400

meanwhile the chuckie goes down on the bottom grate of the smoker.
ry%3D400

next in line is the meatloaf. For some strange reason I decided to sprinkle on a little rub and add some bacon to cover the top.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

so with the remainder of the meatloaf mixture I started rolling up the Moink Balls. I cut up some mozzerella string cheese into chunks to put into the middle of the balls. I was hoping I'd get more of these but ended up with 10. Size wise they were about halfway between a golf ball and a baseball.
ry%3D400

chuckie about 2 hours in I added the probe and snapped a quick picture.
ry%3D400

after the loaf was on about an hour I added the cheesy balls of goodness.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

165* and the chuck roast hits the foil
ry%3D400

170* and the meatloaf is ready for dinner.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

had a nice little ring.

the camera shy wife thought the moink balls were delicious My oldest, who despises meatloaf ate about half the damned thing. So I guess it was a success.
ry%3D400

I foiled the chuckie with no liquid and took it up to 202 and put into a cooler for a couple of hours to rest.

It pulled really easy and there was a ton of juices in the foil. Also there was a huge ring. Probably pretty close to an inch all the way around.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I can't wait for tomorrow to make some sammies with this stuff. The wife and I both nibbled a bit a while I was pulling and agreed it was really juicy and tasty.

Thanks FireItUp for the inspiration found here...
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...hlight=chuckie
and the help via PM earlier today when I thought it was coming up to fast.

Overall, felt this was a pretty sucessful smoke. I think I may do a little more spice-wise with the meatloaf. But the family thought it was a homerun, so maybe two next time. One for them and one for me. The moink balls were great but needed a little something to punch them up too. But the chuck roast was delicious. I'll let you know how the sandwiches go tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Great looking smoke Dude...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Tell the wife she needs to get over being camera shy with all the qview you'll be taking...LOL

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!! Dude, I wanna do another chuckie now! And a meatloaf, and...........

OK, maybe I gotta just take a breath here...wheeeeeeeeew!

Nice smoke, as always!

Thanks!

Eric

Nice job as always. Thanks for the qview.

Wow - you have inspired me to do a Chuckie soon. It all looks good but chuck is one of my favorite meats. Thanks for the great post

Great job there dude look really good and if the kids devored it like you said you had a great smoke
points.gif
denfinetly on a bunch of first for you.

Thanks for the points and the good words everyone. I'll be posting a pic or two shortly. Getting ready to make dinner with the shredded beef.

The chuckie was amazingly simple. Will be doing this again for sure.

Well dinner was a hit. The two youngest didn't want sandwiches with the pulled chuckie. They just ate a pile of it dipped in Ketchup. The oldest son went for the sandwich but no onions, no chesse and no au jus, the wife decided to go for it but with no onions. Mine was with beef, provalone cheese, vidalia onions (simmered in beef broth for about a half hour) all served up on a toasted Italian Hoagie roll.

Here's the onions and beef broth getting ready to come to a low boil then set to simmer
ry%3D400

Toasted up some hoagies in the oven with a little butter
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Loaded up with the various toppings and back under the broiler
ry%3D400

And my sweeeeeeet looking plate with a few french fries, some green beans and a bowl of dipping juice!
ry%3D400

I had an absolutly DELICIOUS pulled chuckie sandwich for dinner. My goodness this was really good. If you're on the fence with making a chuckie, get off of it and do it.

I've got enough left for another sandwich or two. Woo Hoo best part of this!

Thanks for looking and thanks again for all the points.

Congrats on a great smoke, and thanks for sharing the Q View too. I like the ingredients on that meatloaf, sounds tasty.

Can only see red X's but judging from the croud noise it most likely looks good. I hate red X's!

Thanks everyone!

Hmmm, they're showing up for me. Not sure what the problem is. But you're missing a good one. A good one for my standards anyway.

What a great looking smoke Dude!
I'm glad I could help you out and inspire you to give this a go, from the looks of it and the drool starting to come it must have been good.
Been busy the past few days so I'm sorry I missed this when it was fresh, good thing you don't have to reheat the pics to enjoy them.
If I can give them you gotta get points for the beauty of the dish, that gorgeous smoke ring and for making me hungry
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky