9.44# Round sirlion tip roast cov w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doohop65

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
Well here goes nothing. Will be smoking this big boy Sunday for the packer game with friends. First beef cut smoked besides a couple briskets.

This is a trial run for christmas next week. I am too cheap to spring for prime rib at $10 per pound so from all my research here I think I can make this taste good.

Plan is to rub tomorrow morning with a rub TBD. Will keep cool until Sunday morning and put on either the weber kettle or uds at 225-250. Looking to pull with an IT of 135 and rest before slicing.

Will try slicing thin for sandwiches and also thick for dinner type cuts. Figure it will give me ideas for my christmas meal.

If anybody has any ideas I am all ears.

Will also be smoking up a slab of ribs I have had a craving for. Keep tuned for more q view.

Disco, dust off the passport. Beer,bbq, and the packer game is at noon in ne Wisconsin. I would tell you to dress warm but most Canucks I know don't need to be told.

I would season it the way you plan your prime rib. I like worchestshire sauce, seasoned pepper,seasoned salt,garlic,onion powder, dehydrated onion and Rosemary. Can't wait to see some q-view.

Disco, dust off the passport. Beer,bbq, and the packer game is at noon in ne Wisconsin. I would tell you to dress warm but most Canucks I know don't need to be told.
Har! You are lucky She Who Must Be Obeyed has plans. Having me there would help my reputation but ruin yours.

Actually one suggestion for your sirloin tip. I find it stays more tender if you cook it as rare as possible for your tastes.

Disco

Hahahaha, you have one of those too. She told me to not screw up her families christmas meal so that is why I am smoking this hunk of meat Sunday.

Don't worry about my reputation, I ruined that years ago.

I may try pulling closer to 130. I like rare but need to make sure I don't gross any if my guests out.

Remember the rest. That is one of the most important parts. If you have blood on the cutting board you didn't let it rest long enough. You can cut a raw uncooked piece of meat with out blood running out. That is also the way you want the meat to cut after cooking. The heat runs the juice in. The rest lets it redistribute.

Happy smoken.

David

Hahahaha, you have one of those too. She told me to not screw up her families christmas meal so that is why I am smoking this hunk of meat Sunday.

Don't worry about my reputation, I ruined that years ago.

I may try pulling closer to 130. I like rare but need to make sure I don't gross any if my guests out.
I hear you. The missus likes well done but if I cook to 135 F she doesn't punish me and it is still not dried out.

Getting a new version of SPOG ready for the meat.

1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup coarse black pepper
1/2 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced garlic

Wish I had onion powder but fresh out I guess.

Looks good so far! I will sometimes smoke roasts even lower than 225. As low as 180. I to take them to 130. I will say the thin slice is a bit better than thick. I''d recommend putting a batch of Chef JJ's smokey Au Jus below that beast of a roast. Make a batch of Rollers Amish bread, but formed as rolls. Oh yeah!!!!

Time to get the ribs ready for tomorrow.
New rub I am trying out
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup garlic powder
2 tbs cumin
1 tbs black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I cleaned the membrane off and a touch of trim but I think that belly meat is too tasty to just cut off and throw away.

My 2 year old son was being such a great helper I forgot to put the mustard on before rubbing but I think we will be ok. He ate a brown sugar ball from the rub that was coated with spices. Didn't think so much if that.

Off to the garage with the beef for the night.

Dragging butt a little this morning but have things rolling now.

Trying some new mesquite lump I found at sams club. Unless it tastes awesome I probably won't use it again. Lots if huge pieces which I can deal with but also a ton if fines.

Put the ribs and the beef in at the same time. I figure I can always pull and wrap if and when they get done at different time.

Stay tuned more to come.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky