PHOTOS ADDED - 8th Annual South Florida Gathering 2018 (Nov 17-18)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Special Ingredient for the Rib Comp?

• Yes..this will be fun

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No..let's keep it the same

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just in time for the gathering, Winn Dixie has pork butt on sale for ..99/lbs. It's this weekend only. A real good price down this away...

Funny thing, a few years back JarJar was disappointed in the way his ribs turned out. After sampling I have never made them that good! Just saying...

Well since the reigning champion will not be able to make it maybe we can get his lucky spot if it's still available. The tie for second place needs to be broken! Bobcats if the site hasn't been spoken for I'd like to coordinate and take it off your hands somehow.

OK.. starting to feel it (I'm ready) .. had a little taste of camping this past weekend with a bunch of good food... So lets chat this thread up and try to keep it at the front of the recent page...

So i'm thinking two meats for comp will be to much to mess with.. As this was intended to be more of a gathering than a competition... So lets just stick with ribs so we can just enjoy/relax...

I think I'm going to change up for Fri. night and do the pork belly burnt ends instead of the maple bourbon ham... I did 10 lbs worth this past weekend .. They had good taste but I overcooked them.. they truly were BURNT ENDS.. more like jerky ... LOL.. so I want to try again and use you guys as my second set of guinea pigs... I also will be bringing homemade pork rinds again too...

Hey all, I've updated page 1 with Menu and Comp. information from what i've seen on here thus far. More will obviously be added, i still need to figure out what i want to make.

@SmokinAl - I thought i remember you saying you were bringing something but I could not find it scrolling back.

Foods, comps and anything else can be changed around; i just wanted to get the list going.

Well since the reigning champion will not be able to make it maybe we can get his lucky spot if it's still available. The tie for second place needs to be broken! Bobcats if the site hasn't been spoken for I'd like to coordinate and take it off your hands somehow.

It's fairly easy ... all's he has to do is cancel his reservation and it will become available almost immediately... Then you can reserve it... just PM him and coordinate when y'all want to do it...

Just in time for the gathering, Winn Dixie has pork butt on sale for ..99/lbs. It's this weekend only. A real good price down this away...

Not so lucky here. (Sad face) BUT, they are having a decent sale on port loin and St. Louis style ribs. And since those a items I was planning on bringing, I'll probably pick them up. Just have to figure out how to make room in the freezer.

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and just ran across the south florida thread. I'm down in naples and would like some information about the weekend and also any other info about get togethers. Love to meet new people and eat great bbq.

IMG_20181006_203608_281.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and just ran across the south florida thread. I'm down in naples and would like some information about the weekend and also any other info about get togethers. Love to meet new people and eat great bbq.

Hey Discus.. nice to meet ya (so to speak).. As for the Gathering.. this is our 8th one.. you can do a search for the others and look at all the pictures... Most all of us camp out for the weekend that way there's no drinking and driving .. We do have some day trippers.. meaning they just come for the day or they will get a room at a hotel near by ... The purpose (mostly) of the gatherings is for new people to join us and learn new techniques or a different way of doing things... For instance.. I usually bring all my sausage making equipment and have people join in and make snack sticks and sausage... that way they get hands on experience ...
JarJar is a professional chef at Disney... so he is a GREAT source of info and is more than willing to chat with people and gives great advice... What we normally do is bring our own smokers and just cook whatever you want.. whenever you want... We do have a FRIENDLY rib competition on Sat but it's not mandatory you enter.. that's up to you if ya want to or not ... I will say ... We had a new attendy (Bobcats) last year and he won the comp his first time...
So it's mostly just a bunch of us (members and families) cooking some awesome food and having an adult beverage or 20... and telling a few lies around the campfire ... You and your family are more than welcome to join us... some of us get there on Thursday .. others will come on Fri. and then some come just for Sat. I will say that the last time I looked most all of the campsites were reserved already... Don't know if you camp or not.. but all sites are allowed two tents or a camper and a tent... so If you are tenting there will be more than enough space to set one up... Showers and restrooms are really nice and clean...

I think I have rambled enough... If you are in doubt and hesitant... find the PA Gathering (just had it 2 weeks ago)... They had a new member attend and he was overwhelmed about how accommodating the group was towards him... Well.. the same goes with the Fl. group.. we more than welcome new members to join us...

Maybe others will chime in and tell ya a lil more about it... but by all means.. make plans to attend ...

I just looked at the camp web site and everything is reserved for sat. I saw someone was canceling dont know if that spot was reserved or not. I love camping and cooking over a fire better yet bring a smoker. I'm no professional but I have a few dishes I'm good at. Would love to learn some new styles and techniques. I have no problem popping a tent. I will call and see if I can get on a list for cancellations or maybe show up and stay near by. Thanks for all the info.

Discus, we'd love to have you join! You can more than likely post on up someone else's tent spot. Camping spots allow for 2 tents. At the moment, i do not think anyone is camping on my site except for me. You're more than welcome to post up there

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky