PHOTOS ADDED - 8th Annual South Florida Gathering 2018 (Nov 17-18)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Special Ingredient for the Rib Comp?

• Yes..this will be fun

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No..let's keep it the same

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Craig, i've got them down!

Ditto what Keith said about meal planning for a larger group. For anyone who knows they are definitely cooking something for one of the days/meals can you repost it below so i can put together a informal menu so we know where we might need to fill in the gaps so nobody goes hungry :)

Cannot wait!! I received the vacuum bags from @lisa b !! Waiting on the other swag materials :)

Anything we haven't addressed yet from previous years?

Reactions: lisa b
As far as what I’m planning on bringing to cook, I’m open. I could bring pork chops, meatloaf, chicken, ribs, baked beans, scolloped potatoes, Mac & cheese, or green bean casserole. I could also bring some smoked and sliced beef, pork or turkey for sandwiches. As always, I plan on arriving thurs and leave Sunday.

So, asleep at the wheel... no notification of the mention, no spots open in the park for the weekend, bit of a tragic year for the family... I think I may just be making a day of it and swing by for Sat... I will keep a look-out for spots at the park, maybe someone will cancel...

So, asleep at the wheel... no notification of the mention, no spots open in the park for the weekend, bit of a tragic year for the family... I think I may just be making a day of it and swing by for Sat... I will keep a look-out for spots at the park, maybe someone will cancel...

Sorry to hear that the year has not been going well, hopefully improving. I actually had the same issue earlier this year and not getting notifications with the new Forum Platform.

Maybe what i'll do for all returning/past members after this event is collect email addresses and sent a email out each time i create the event for the following year. This way we dont have to only rely on the forum notifications

Reactions: carol506
Great idea, Doug.

Btw, I decided to bring a batch of marinated pork loin chops to cook. What night do think would be the best?

If I remember correctly... you tent it don't you ?? If that's the case all sites are allowed up to 2 tents or one camper and one tent on each site... So I am sure we can make a home for ya somewhere... If able.. just plan on coming and staying the number of nights you planned ... As Doug said.. sorry to hear about the hardships... we've all had em...

Reactions: carol506
If I remember correctly... you tent it don't you ?? If that's the case all sites are allowed up to 2 tents or one camper and one tent on each site... So I am sure we can make a home for ya somewhere... If able.. just plan on coming and staying the number of nights you planned ... As Doug said.. sorry to hear about the hardships... we've all had em...
I do tent it, and if some one will have room for a tent I would make it for Friday and Saturday nights

There is a small gathering of friends next weekend at Lake Manatee SP. One of us had to back out so there is a site available if anyone of you wishes to join us. There will meat smoking, cast iron cooking and lots of good fellowship. Join us.

Craig, i've got them down!

Ditto what Keith said about meal planning for a larger group. For anyone who knows they are definitely cooking something for one of the days/meals can you repost it below so i can put together a informal menu so we know where we might need to fill in the gaps so nobody goes hungry :)

Cannot wait!! I received the vacuum bags from @lisa b !! Waiting on the other swag materials :)

Anything we haven't addressed yet from previous years?

Looking forward to the menu. At this point in time, this is what I’m planning:
  • Thursday night — I’m working on perfecting a recipe for KFC style breaded then smoked chicken. Not quite where I want it, yet, but I’m hoping to have it perfected in time to try it out on the early birds.
  • Friday night — marinated smoked Iowa style Pork Chops.
  • Saturday — some side dish. Perhaps Mac & cheese, scalloped potatoes, baked beans, etc., to be determined after others post what they’re bringing.

Attachments

• 48FEDC23-8FC7-403B-89BF-401256C6F407.jpeg
    48FEDC23-8FC7-403B-89BF-401256C6F407.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 4
Unless something drastically changes, I will not be there until Friday afternoon. I have to go to a follow up procedure for my daughter's surgery she had last year.

I am not planning on anything specific yet, since it will all be determined on her procedure on Thursday and how it goes. I'll see what holes are left in the menus and go from there.

Hope everything works out ok Jeramy!

I've been crazy busy lately with work and life in general! Going to start putting together the "menu" and plan today.

So....crap. We're going to have to back out. Have to travel to Ohio for a family thing that weekend. I have a prime camping spot, so if someone needs in, or closer, private message me and we'll see if we can't figure out how to get it in your name.

Note I was bringing a couple things for the group, so someone will need to pick up my slack there.

Bummed beyond belief....we had a great time last year.

Ah man, sad to hear you cannot make it!

And we can find a replacement to bring the plates and napkins

So....crap. We're going to have to back out. Have to travel to Ohio for a family thing that weekend. I have a prime camping spot, so if someone needs in, or closer, private message me and we'll see if we can't figure out how to get it in your name.

Note I was bringing a couple things for the group, so someone will need to pick up my slack there.

Bummed beyond belief....we had a great time last year.

Ahhh Man... how are we suppose to beat the defending champ ?? Hopefully next year you can make it back ..

OK.. starting to feel it (I'm ready) .. had a little taste of camping this past weekend with a bunch of good food... So lets chat this thread up and try to keep it at the front of the recent page...

So i'm thinking two meats for comp will be to much to mess with.. As this was intended to be more of a gathering than a competition... So lets just stick with ribs so we can just enjoy/relax...

I think I'm going to change up for Fri. night and do the pork belly burnt ends instead of the maple bourbon ham... I did 10 lbs worth this past weekend .. They had good taste but I overcooked them.. they truly were BURNT ENDS.. more like jerky ... LOL.. so I want to try again and use you guys as my second set of guinea pigs... I also will be bringing homemade pork rinds again too...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky