PHOTOS ADDED - 8th Annual South Florida Gathering 2018 (Nov 17-18)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Special Ingredient for the Rib Comp?

• Yes..this will be fun

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No..let's keep it the same

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If we are going to do the mystery ingredient.

We use St. Luis cut ribs. You can buy spare ribs and someone like Doug or myself can show you how to fabricate them to St. Luis style if you dont know how. A learning opportunity for you if you like.

Keep in mind this is dinner for us that night. So no really crazy stuff that nobody has ever heard of.

As someone said earlier. Remember you could draw your own mystery ingredient. So you might get stuck with the crazy stuff you bring!

My observation of past years. After the judging there is not much of an individual's ribs left. So plan on at least 2 full racks, so people can try what you have made. I am planning on cooking 3 racks with the chains.

A piece of advice, please mark all utensils as then tend to get lost or miss placed. FYI mine have purple marks.

I also have a half dozen serving spoons if anyone needs to use them.

Doug here is some additions to people attending our gathering this year. Keith, Charlotte, John and I have camped with 3 other groups and some are going to joining us.
Melanie Chadwick 132, Melissa 137, Teresa Cox Webster 138, Gene and Sherry 42, Linda Cram 113, and Julie Stoughton are the ones I have site numbers. It's going to be huge.

i added a poll at the top of this to nail down the consensus on the special ingredient for the Rib Comp. Please cast your vote so we can get that settled :)

Updated Page 1, Thanks Carol.

Woowee....so i count 23 people listed on the sites section and this doesnt account for spouses, family and friends. This is gonna be huge!!! Awesome! Let's just make sure we have enough food to feed everyone :)

For anyone who invited someone who is not on the forum, if you can please just keep them informed of what we discuss here.

WHOLLYYYYYYYY CHITTTTTTT ... now that's a crowd .. I say we keep going until we have the whole campground reserved for the weekend.. LOL ...

Doug... I'm thinking we're gonna need about a 5 PM turn in time... That should give an hour or so for judging and then Dinner at/near/soon after 6 ... As Jeremy said... I'm gonna do 3 rack's as well and these will be towards dinner... so a 2 PM turn in, I'm thinking, would be a lil to early ...

Can we do the judging similar to last year and it be our people and not random people in the camp grounds? Maybe also keep it to a reasonable number.....
I know I am being bi#@y. But it looks like we will have a bunch of mouths to feed....no need to feed those first that contributed nothing to the gathering.

Perhaps those that compete could judge. Say we had 6 entries. Everyone would submit 5 ribs to the "official." They would assign a secrete number to each cook, and distribute them to each cook, making sure that each cook does not get their own entry. That way we would each be choosing the best of our competitors.

Can't wait for the good times.[/QUO
Evening everyone. I go by discus but would like to induce myself. My name is Mark and my wifes name is Phallon and we look forward to joining you for the weekend.

Seems you guys have things under control and I'm not sure what I can bring or do to help out as the newbie. I always am over prepared and try to account for everything. I have alot of these items laying around as extras or left overs as well. Please let me know what I can bring.

I'm no expert on ribs but i will give it a try at the competition as i have the newbie luck from Bobcats and his camp site. I'm planning on doing at least one butt proabaly two. Love to enjoy a good smoked butt. Whether it's for a sandwich, breakfast or tacos can't go wrong. Meat to go around.

Might get crazy and try a desert or two in the Dutch oven over camp fire after a few cocktails.

Look forward to meeting everyone.
Hey Mark, nice to meet you.. I'm Jenny and I'm from Naples too. I couldn't help but notice your Dutch Oven comment.... I'm a big fan of dutch ovens and always tote a couple of mine with me for camp outs. For gatherings like this, I usually have a bunch of them going all weekend. There is plenty of extra room on my dutch oven table if you need it. I'm going to set it up in the middle of the party.

i like the idea of internal judging as well, we always have issues and it takes a long time when we get other campers. I'm all for spreading the word of the forum but we can do that other ways rather than inviting them to judge. 5pm turn-in works. In the past earlier turn-ins have needed to be pushed.

We have only had 4 people vote on the rib competition at the top of this place, lets get some more votes in. right now its 50/50

Hey Mark, nice to meet you.. I'm Jenny and I'm from Naples too. I couldn't help but notice your Dutch Oven comment.... I'm a big fan of dutch ovens and always tote a couple of mine with me for camp outs. For gatherings like this, I usually have a bunch of them going all weekend. There is plenty of extra room on my dutch oven table if you need it. I'm going to set it up in the middle of the party.

I'd love a demo of proper cleaning and seasoning of DO's because i feel like i'm not doing right. But a campsite might be a hard place to do that kind of demo since you usually need a oven that goes up above 450 right?

I'd love a demo of proper cleaning and seasoning of DO's because i feel like i'm not doing right. But a campsite might be a hard place to do that kind of demo since you usually need a oven that goes up above 450 right?
Oh no, not at all. I never use the house oven because it smells up the place and the husband complains( whaaaa) I use my weber kettle or a gas grill to season my CI. I'm bringing the kettle so you can use that if you want. Do they just need re-seasoned, or are they really rusty? Either way, bring some vinegar, baking soda and a box of kosher salt. We'll have them shining in no time.

Oh no, not at all. I never use the house oven because it smells up the place and the husband complains( whaaaa) I use my weber kettle or a gas grill to season my CI. I'm bringing the kettle so you can use that if you want. Do they just need re-seasoned, or are they really rusty? Either way, bring some vinegar, baking soda and a box of kosher salt. We'll have them shining in no time.

That would be awesome! I'll bring my 2 skillets for sure. Not rusty but sticky and i feel like stuff sticks to it more than is should.

We are going to stay at the La Quinta 16-17 so we dont have to bring the pups out into the heat.

I have a new Lodge. Can i bring it along for seasoning. I dont use the oven in the 5th wheel.

Team Triumph waiting until the last minute to come sliding in sideways!

Highlands Hammock State Park, FL
RV or Tent
138, ELEC
Arriving: Fri Nov 16 2018
Leaving: Sun Nov 18 2018
Length of Stay: 2 (nights)
Primary Frank Coker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky