5th of July Pulled Pork!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks John! I'm sitting steady at 156 and the hour is about up. Getting ready to foil now.
Yup---Go ahead and foil, and leave it at 275* too.

I'm wondering how far off your MES smoker temp is, but your Prime Rib went Great !!!

At this stage, by the time you would move it from the smoker to your oven, you'd lose even more heat in the move, so just go with the 275* foiled in your smoker until it hits 200* IT.

Bear

Last edited:
The MES thermometer matched up pretty much exactly with the needle thermometer. I'm thinking it might be pretty accurate... you're right, all of my salmon smokes and the prime rib have been dead on.

It went up to 157 right after my last post. Nuked the apple juice and got it all foiled up! C'mon 200!

Thank you so much for sticking around for me John!

Last edited:
The MES thermometer matched up pretty much exactly with the needle thermometer. It went up to 157 right after my last post. Nuked the apple juice and got it all foiled up! C'mon 200!

Thank you so much for sticking around for me John!
That's good that they were close.

I'm wondering how accurate the smoker temp is though.

It should start running up quicker now!!

Bear

Oh gotcha...  ya, I'll still probably be upgrading to a better thermometer system.  Can't put in all this work, money, and love and risk it all to a cheap thermometer!

Oh gotcha...  ya, I'll still probably be upgrading to a better thermometer system.  Can't put in all this work, money, and love and risk it all to a cheap thermometer!
My Step by Steps are supposed to make things Easy. I don't like to see a nice guy follower having problems.

Keep me posted. I got my MacBook Pro on my lap while we're watching a movie.

Bear

Reactions: turick
John, you're too kind!! I can't thank you enough! I really just must have gotten one stubborn piece of meat!

I'm cruising along now... Already up to 168!

Last edited:
John, you're too kind!! I can't thank you enough! I really just must have gotten one stubborn piece of meat!

I'm cruising along now... Already up to 168!
That's Great----Kicking Butt now (Pun intended).

Bear

Even with your problems, that pulled pork WILL be great.

It will be worth it.

John, for the rest, should I do just like the prime rib... Open the door to cool it off, set the temp to 100, then close it back up? Should I then leave it in for 1/2 hour or a full hour?

Thanks c farmer! I hope so! Temp is rising really fast now. Already up to 182.
That sounds like you're out of the woods now.

Hang in there until 200* Then let it rest for awhile before you pull it.

You can do what I did----Pull enough to eat, and let the rest of it rest while you eat.

I'll sign off now & catch ya tomorrow.

Bear

John, for the rest, should I do just like the prime rib... Open the door to cool it off, set the temp to 100, then close it back up? Should I then leave it in for 1/2 hour or a full hour?
You could do that, but since it's getting late, if it was me, I'd just pull it & let it rest on the counter for a half hour.

Bear

Thanks so much again John! Have a great night. Hopefully I'll have some great pictures for you to check out tomorrow!

Well, I'm paranoid about everything being my first shot at this, so I'm going to let it sit for a full hour. 1/2 hour left!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky