5th Annual Meat and Greet...Church Activity...with pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Dear Folks:
It is time again for our church's annual Meat and Greet. The first 3 years were done by someone else who moved away and last year and this year is my responsibility as far as the meat goes. (the church is covering the food costs) So as the meat cook for attendance around 150 people I'm cooking:

8 racks of baby backs
4 pork butts
10lbs of grilled chicken breasts (boneless/skinless)
40 hot dogs ( for the kids etc.)

Last year we had about 130 people attend. I cooked fewer ribs and dark meat chicken. so I decided to have more ribs (from 6 to 8 racks) and cut out the dark meat chicken (most people didn't like it).

the plan:

dry rub the ribs (garlic honey weber rub). smoke for 2.5 hours and wrap for 1.5 hours with Parkay, apple juice, ac vinegar and 30 minutes of a thin layer of sauce out of the wrap. (those times are estimates I will play by feel but I want FOTB for the church folks)

smoke the butts till 200 degrees IT and let rest and shred with lowery's season salt as a rub.

Brine the chicken in buttermilk overnight and season with a citrus herb seasoning and grill over charcoal and cherry pellets.

grill the hot dogs with some good grill marks but not burnt (all-beef franks)

I'm using a new sauce my wife calls perfect peach ( my recipe)
=======================================
3 TBS butter
1 cup ketchup
1 TBS mustard
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS of peach preserves
1/2 cup of peach nectar
1/8 cup of ac vinegar
3/4 cup of turbinado sugar
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
2 TBS of paprika

Tonight I make the sauce and start the prep. I have a slew of hickory splits for the smoke.
I will be getting up about 3 am for the smoke for the event to be 5 pm on Saturday. for those who may be thinking, I don't have enough time or cutting it close I will be smoking at about 275-300 degrees most of the time.

Pics to be coming!
stay tuned!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Will be waiting at 3am for the start. Sounds like a good cook....for the RIGHT reason!
Don

Ok so I'm up early as planned...the prep is done, the smoker is cleaned, and the pork butts are on cooking right now. I have some pics as promised!

take off the membrane.....
IMG_20190824_032708.jpg

Add some rub...
IMG_20190824_032717.jpg
IMG_20190824_033338.jpg

Pork Butt with lowery's seasoned salt about to go on the smoker...

IMG_20190824_043152.jpg

that's what I have so far I will be posting pics throughout the cook and some of the event after it takes place...

thanks for looking and commenting...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

made almost 3 bottles of perfect peach sauce last night... to add a little bit to the recipe...
make sure to mix ingredients and bring to a low simmer and simmer for 15 minutes then let cool and then marry in the fridge for a couple of hours...
IMG_20190824_053317.jpg

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: drdon
Looks terrific! A long way to go though....150 people? What a generous undertaking. Hope it goes well.
Don

I just wrapped the babies...8 racks in total...when those are done I'm going to get the chicken out of the buttermilk brine and slice them into smaller pieces and fire up the old weber kettle and do the chicken and hot dogs...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Wow!!
Looking Great already, Aaron!!
Gonna be 150 Happy Campers at that Shindig!!
Way to get going!!
Like.

Bear

Ribs look great. Cut out the dark meat? Thats what I like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky