500 Gallon RF smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtomlin

Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
I'm working on building a reverse flow smoker with a 500 gallon propane tank.  I was wondering if there is a certain distance that the RF plate should be below the actual cooking grate?

I contributed to the linked thread thread, but I might ask this question, but in reverse: how far above the reverse flow plate should you put the bottom cooking grill (which then affects how you cut the doors)?

You must have the smoker done... That is the last thing you need to install.... from 3-6 inches.... or above the opening to the CC...

Last edited:
I understand the linked spreadsheet all the way till I get to the firebox to cooking chamber opening.  I'm not really understanding what to put there.  I had planned to install the RF plate at 9" from the bottom of the 30" tank, the firebox would then be connected with the top of it at the same height as the RF plate. 

Here's the details of what I have currently,  30" diameter x 165" length tank.  I have built a 32" x 32" x 32" firebox.  I'm trying to figure out what height my RF plate needs to be.  Once that's determined, I was wondering if there was a standard number for how far the cooking grate should be located off of the RF plate. 

I may be trying to over-think this and just confusing myself.  Thanks for any help though.

Did you get through all of this...

Calculations for a standard design, reverse flow smoker..

Volume of the Cook Chamber.... Use the Inside Diameter of the tank...

Diameter X Diameter X 0.7854 X Length = Volume in cubic inches

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = FB/CC opening in square inches

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = Area under the RF plate in square inches

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = Area required at the end of the RF plate in square inches

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky