4th Of July Smoke - Chicken Version...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbraas

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
So the original plan was to have a Butt on as well (would have been the first since getting this smoker), but events lead it to be chicen only.

Four whole birds went on. I placed them in a brine that I got from SMF and added a seasoning or two to (I will have to go back an look to see who credit should go to). They went in the brine around 9/10 pm on Thursday and were out around 1 pm Friday. Dryed and added a little rub. I went with Stubbs, as I heard on here it was a decent off teh shelf version. Loosened the skin and rubbed some between it and the meat. Added a bit to the skin itself, trussed up (my wifes tying skills) and ready for the smoker.

I used Mesquite this time around, and spritzed every hour or so with a combination of apple juice, water, and cider vinegar.

I desided to do this sort of "pulled pork style" and pulled/chopped it whne done and had buns available for sandwiches. Also a little homemade BBQ sauce to be added if desired (something I got from another book).

Here are a few pics:

Coals going:

Birds in:

Getting there:

Finished Product as leftovers. I forgot to get a pic of this yesterday, to many hungry folks waiting to eat!

Thanks it was tasty, and we have plenty of leftovers. I think tomorrow is going to be smoked chicken fajitas.

Looks good wife wanted some smoked last week for smoked chicken caesar salad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky