40lbs if venison/pork for sticks and summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

novadoc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
kitchener ontario canada
I see a lot of you guys using leggs, PS and other pre mixed seasoning blends as if late, unfortunately that stuff is not available in Canada.

Does anyone have any links or tried and true summer sausage and snack stick recipes?
Looking for anything Cajun or sweet and spicy.

Got ya covered.....Cajun, sweet and spicy!! LOL!!

Cajun Sweet heat Stix

25# ground pork 75/15 or 80/20 thru 6mm plate OR 40/60 venison and 80/20 or 75/25 pork
6 TBSPS. Mortans fine pickle salt (108g)
1 oz. cure #1
2.5 TBSPS. Black pepper
2-3 TBSP red pepper flakes (to your taste)
2.5 TBSPS Monosodium glutamate (30g) (if leaving out, MSG is 60% the sodium of regular salt so adjust salt accordingly)
1 TBSP. granulated onion
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
2 TBSPS. Paprika
4 TBSPS. Dark Brown sugar
1/2 tsp. finely ground by leaf

5 cups NFDM
2.5 cups very cold water
1/2 cup cane syrup, maple syrup, or brown sugar

Stuff into 19-21mm collagen casing or natural sheeps...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-goose-pork-snack-sticks.300341/#post-2117068

These are not fermented sticks so must be smoked to 146*F minimum for 30 minutes per the USDA. Dry to 45% weight loss @54*F; 75-80%RH for 7-10 days.

Last edited:
Got ya covered.....Cajun, sweet and spicy!! LOL!!

Cajun Sweet heat Stix

25# ground pork 75/15 or 80/20 thru 6mm plate OR 40/60 venison and 80/20 or 75/25 pork
6 TBSPS. Mortans fine pickle salt (108g)
1 oz. cure #1
2.5 TBSPS. Black pepper
2-3 TBSP red pepper flakes (to your taste)
2.5 TBSPS Monosodium glutamate (30g) (if leaving out, MSG is 60% the sodium of regular salt so adjust salt accordingly)
1 TBSP. granulated onion
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
2 TBSPS. Paprika
4 TBSPS. Dark Brown sugar
1/2 tsp. finely ground by leaf

5 cups NFDM
2.5 cups very cold water
1/2 cup cane syrup, maple syrup, or brown sugar

Stuff into 19-21mm collagen casing or natural sheeps...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-goose-pork-snack-sticks.300341/#post-2117068

These are not fermented sticks so must be smoked to 146*F minimum for 30 minutes per the USDA. Dry to 45% weight loss @54*F; 75-80%RH for 7-10 days.
Incredible, thanks! Going to make these this week. How do you think they would turn out stuffed into a thicker summer sausage casing?

Incredible, thanks! Going to make these this week. How do you think they would turn out stuffed into a thicker summer sausage casing?
The recipe would work I think... are you going to ferment with a culture or add an acidifier like buttermilk or fermento? Or encapsulated citric acid?

EDIT*
Disregard-I am thinking of a different snack stick recipe. These are not fermented.

The recipe would work I think... are you going to ferment with a culture or add an acidifier like buttermilk or fermento? Or encapsulated citric acid?
I was just going to use the recipe as is and see how it did. I can't seem to find any ECA locally and want to get this meat used up before the season starts on Friday. If it won't work I'll just stuff it all into 19mm for sticks

Disregard the acidifier for this recipe....it is not acidified. Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking of the jalapeno and cheese snack stick recipe I use....
Do not forget to use cure #1.

This recipe will not produce a shelf stable summer sausage, it must be frozen.

Disregard the acidifier for this recipe....it is not acidified. Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking of the jalapeno and cheese snack stick recipe I use....
Do not forget to use cure #1.

This recipe will not produce a shelf stable summer sausage, it must be frozen.
Can't get non instant NFDM so defatted soy flower is my only option
Do I need to adjust how much I am putting in here? Or do I use them 1 for 1

Can't get non instant NFDM so defatted soy flower is my only option
Not sure what you are trying to say.... Non fat dry milk powder (NFDM) is already a powder and it is instant milk....

I don't use soy flower so I'm not familiar with it. Maybe do a search here and see what pops up.

Not sure what you are trying to say.... Non fat dry milk powder (NFDM) is already a powder and it is instant milk....

I don't use soy flower so I'm not familiar with it. Maybe do a search here and see what pops up.
The only NFDM I can get is instant, and from what I read that won't work
Looks like soy flower is 2% based on the weight of meat

The only NFDM I can get is instant, and from what I read that won't work
Looks like soy flower is 2% based on the weight of meat
From my understanding, the only real difference between regular NFDM powder and the stuff sold exclusively for making sausage is that the stuff for sausage is a very fine powder and is fortified with calcium. The calcium does help give a stronger bind.

I have been using regular NFDM powder from Walmart in my smoke sausage. Has a great bind. I mix it with a little water first and use a blender to incorporate very well to remove any clumps. Then mix into the meat.

Instant refers to making milk . It's more of a flake and you don't have to wait if you're making milk to drink . Carnation is sold in a lot of grocery stores and is in powder firm. I know guys use the instant for sausage . I use the powder . I have used soy protein and isolate . I don't use any of it by percent anymore. I add it slowly until the meat paste comes together. The amount of fat in your mix will determine the bind . So any more than enough of an added binder is to much in my opinion .

Reactions: indaswamp
Instant refers to making milk . It's more of a flake and you don't have to wait if you're making milk to drink . Carnation is sold in a lot of grocery stores and is in powder firm. I know guys use the instant for sausage . I use the powder . I have used soy protein and isolate . I don't use any of it by percent anymore. I add it slowly until the meat paste comes together. The amount of fat in your mix will determine the bind . So any more than enough of an added binder is to much in my opinion .
So the Carnation "instant" powder milk is fine to use? I read a couple threads that said it had to be the non instant version so I didn't pick any up. It's pretty late here now for doing sticks so I will likely just leave it and stuff them all tomorrow instead. If the instant stuff is fine I will pick it up on my way home tomorrow (even if it's flake I can blend it into a powder before adding it to the meat mixture)

Yes and yes in my experience . I buy nfdm from sausage maker , but have used the carnation several times . Works just fine .
I have also used the one I buy from sausage maker to make a quart of milk when I didn't have any . Grinding the flake is also an option that works . Like I said above I add it slowly to my meat mix . I've used as little as 2 tbls for 5 lbs . Just depends on the fat percentage and the salt . When it gets sticky I stop adding milk powder .

Yes and yes in my experience . I buy nfdm from sausage maker , but have used the carnation several times . Works just fine .
I have also used the one I buy from sausage maker to make a quart of milk when I didn't have any . Grinding the flake is also an option that works . Like I said above I add it slowly to my meat mix . I've used as little as 2 tbls for 5 lbs . Just depends on the fat percentage and the salt . When it gets sticky I stop adding milk powder .
You guys are Legends, thank you very much

I will be using a mixer so I can add a little bit in at a time until it gets tacky. My mix is likely going to be 60/40 Ven:pork the pork was loins with about a 1 inch fat cap so I would say they were about 60/40 meat to fat if that helps any.

Wanted to post back and say thanks a ton for all your guys help
I was just shy of about 35lbs total and have a disgusting pile of sticks and summer sausage chubs to smoke over the next few days. indaswamp indaswamp your recipe worked very well, and had great flavor in the test patty I fried up. I made a few changes just because I was unable to get pure cane syrup, so I substituted fancy molasses with some added home made maple sugar. Heat level was a bit mild for me but I spiked it with a teaspoon of cayenne just to give it a little more.
received_2266462363530149.jpeg

Ended up with 25lbs of sticks
And 9.5 of these 1lb summer sausage chubs
PXL_20210929_022127348.MP.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky