40lbs if venison/pork for sticks and summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good deal, glad it worked out for you.
First batch is finished
received_1102064500199647.jpeg
PXL_20210930_202750721.jpg

Everything is perfect the only issue I had was some of the casings easily pealing away from the meat.
Not a huge deal but wondering what I can do to prevent this next time.
Sticks were pulled at 150, and I had zero fat out this time with my new PID controller.
I'm guessing I under stuffed the casings in some spots (or air pockets) but I also read a post from Nepas saying he conditioned his casings by putting them in the fridge for a few hours before stuffing?

Reactions: indaswamp
First batch is finished
View attachment 512082View attachment 512083
Everything is perfect the only issue I had was some of the casings easily pealing away from the meat.
Not a huge deal but wondering what I can do to prevent this next time.
Sticks were pulled at 150, and I had zero fat out this time with my new PID controller.
I'm guessing I under stuffed the casings in some spots (or air pockets) but I also read a post from Nepas saying he conditioned his casings by putting them in the fridge for a few hours before stuffing?

I don't make sticks but I do make sausage and know an ice water bath out of the smoker helps with casing separation.

Does ice bathing the sticks also help keep the meat from shrinking away form the casing since everything cools so fast together?

Those came out great . Nice work . I have some collagen casings . I don't care for them myself , but I store what I have in the fridge .
I have seen some that are loose , not sure what cases it . Rick would know .
That being said , I don't see anything wrong with what you have there .
Getting ready to stuff some German bologna I mixed up yesterday .
I have some bulk chorizo too , just might make them into sticks after seeing yours .

Last pics
This was the final smoke of the 34lbs I mixed up
9.5 chubs of summer sausage, personally this is the winner for me
I feel maybe I over cooked the sticks and I will make sure I pull them at 142 next time

These chubs came out at 145 and are absolutely perfect. This is a cut shot of the small one (a few air pockets) still slightly warm
PXL_20211002_022337776.MP.jpg

Need to do these again with some high temp pepper jack.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky