3rd Time with Ribs was the Charm!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lunarocket

Original poster
May 26, 2015
Barton City, Michigan
Today was the 3rd time I have tried smoking ribs using the electric smoker DH built for me out of an old 24" Kenmore oven. The first 2 attempts were okay but I couldn't really see trying it again. DH convinced me to try once more, so I bought one small rack of St Louis style ribs, only 8 bones in the thing, but nice and meaty. DH trimmed them, then we marinated them in some Italian dressing. I made a simple rub of kosher salt, onion powder, Spanish paprika and thyme. And put them in with peach chips and a small pan of water at about 212. I spritz them a few times with a concoction made up of homemade apple cider vinegar, apple juice, water and homemade birch syrup.

I was following the 3-2-1 method which I'd only learned about today. Two hours in I threw some Johnsonville brats on the grill which made the heat go all wonky for a bit still some 20 degree swings (still working on calibrating this stove) wrapped at 3 hours in foil with more birch spray, Italian dressing and some brown sugar. Two hours later unwrapped, sprayed more birch syrup and added little Weber original sweet and spicy BBQ sauce. The ribs didn't stay in longer than another 20, they just looked right and when I took a temp I was hitting 175.

Gave DH the big half, and he said "nailed it". My gosh they were GREAT!!! I've got to try it again now.

Glad there improving! It just sucks you only had a smaller rack instead of great leftovers! They look great!!

It's all the store had. Which is odd as it was the first day of the sale. But when I tried to get some the  last time they had the sale they had none. Very strange. 

Well you just made me hungry! now I want to make ribs! A lot of ribs! for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Ribs look great Lunarocket. Keep on smokin' my friend.

Rudy

I will be smoking more ribs today. A ST Louis style and some spare ribs, oops  loin back ribs (at least that's what the package said) to see what the difference is and which we like better.

While reading books last night every so often DH would quietly say... "riiiiiiibs". I think he likes them, lol

edited type of rib

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky