3rd Smoke..this time, Hungarian paprika

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Well even the raw finished rub, (Jeff's Rib Rub Recipe), tastes different on it's own when using a sweeter, better quality paprika (Hungarian). I only would suggest that Jeff would make an addendum to his recipe and suggest the use of this specific paprika. My smoke is not over yet, but I know that this paprika will accent and not bitter-out this rub. We shall soon see!!

Thin blue smoke.......I hear ya callin!!!!!!!!!!

Its amazing how Paprika can be so different.

I agree. The first time I made Jeff's rub, I made it per the recipe and I found the paprika was a little bitter. The second batch, I substituted Hungarian Paprika and used chipotle powder in place of the cayenne. I also added dry mustard powder. I found it was much better but it's just my opinion.

Well there ya go! I knew someone here had this same experience!

Been there and done that. The only paprika I use in my rubs is either Hungarian or smoked Spanish. I quit using the red & white canned stuff several years ago, and I won't be going back.

Order it from one of the many online places like spicebarn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky