3rd Smoke..this time, Hungarian paprika

Discussion in 'Pork' started by insight, Apr 18, 2010.

1. insight

insight Meat Mopper

Well even the raw finished rub, (Jeff's Rib Rub Recipe), tastes different on it's own when using a sweeter, better quality paprika (Hungarian). I only would suggest that Jeff would make an addendum to his recipe and suggest the use of this specific paprika. My smoke is not over yet, but I know that this paprika will accent and not bitter-out this rub. We shall soon see!!

Thin blue smoke.......I hear ya callin!!!!!!!!!!

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Its amazing how Paprika can be so different.

3. I agree. The first time I made Jeff's rub, I made it per the recipe and I found the paprika was a little bitter. The second batch, I substituted Hungarian Paprika and used chipotle powder in place of the cayenne. I also added dry mustard powder. I found it was much better but it's just my opinion.

4. insight

insight Meat Mopper

Well there ya go! I knew someone here had this same experience!

5. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Been there and done that. The only paprika I use in my rubs is either Hungarian or smoked Spanish. I quit using the red & white canned stuff several years ago, and I won't be going back.

6. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

I cant find Hungarian paprika around here, just the regular kind.

7. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Order it from one of the many online places like spicebarn.

8. I order my spices from http://www.myspicesage.com. I can't find chipotle powder or the hungarian paprika and this was the least expensive place I could find.

The regualr paprika in the grocery stores are junk.