300-800 range horizontal offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herkysprings

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Eugene, OR
I still haven't pulled the trigger on my horizontal smoker purchase. Going to wait until after Christmas, but:

I thought maybe I'd save up for something with a bit sturdier build. Hopefully a bit more economical on fuel or at least with better heat retention / fuel management / mods needed.

I'm hoping I might get something like that if I bumped up my price range.

Looking at the Horizon 16", or a Brinkmann Pitmaster etc Wondering if anyone else has any suggestions?

http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.co...-Smoker/Detail

EDIT: I'm turing 30 soon, so this is like my gift to myself. I'm considering it the last "toy" that I purchase for quite some time before I move towards home ownership.

I forgot to add:

I may be moving back home (more North) where the average ambient temp is lower. As well charcoal prices are double what I pay now. So a smoker that can retain heat / use less fuel may actually save me money in the long run, and allow for smoking more often year round.

Thanks all!

That's a nice unit you linked to. I have the 20" backyard with a few upgrades and love it. I don't burn much charcoal in mine, just wood. I do how ever start my fire with one chimney full of charcoal.

One upgrade I must encourage you to get if you pick the Horizon and that is the the sliding convection plate. It helps a ton in keeping even temps through out the smoking chamber.

Buy one that will last you a lifetime, your grandchildren will use, get a Lang.
I am 50+ and just wished I had bought one earlier. you know you never hear people complaining about the the best thing they have ever purchased. this thing is a tank, dosen't use too much fuel and I haven't heard of anyone regretting buying one. Just try finding a used one, you would be lucky if you could they are hard to find.

Aside from the fact that you're significantly over-budget, keep in mind also the OP is moving back home. Might have a bit to do with the stated budget, and far easier to move 150 pounds of steel than 450....

While I agree with you somewhat, there's also significant room and rationale for getting something good within a budget. To make a music analogy, a good guitarist will be just about as good on a $150 guitar as a $4000 guitar - and the more expensive guitar won't make a crappy player sound any better. I'm "up north" (NYC) too, and I've never had a problem turning out good Q on either my CGSP or my Weber kettle.

At the low end of the stated budget, Lowes carries the RoyalOak brand offset. It sheet steel, but heavy gauge. Less than $400, and I think the combined package was available earlier this year for $300:

016800940316md.jpg
016800941337md.jpg

I'm mostly concerned with investing in a product that I know will last a decent amount of time, have good heat retention / fuel consumption. Back in Canada my friend who has a WSM tells me charcoal prices are 2X what I pay. As well in general since I know ambient temps are lower there for longer periods of time, I want to see if there are purchases that will keep me fuel efficient. Also replacements parts / new smokers may be more expensive or harder to get.

Not that I wouldn't be happy with a SnP but I'm trying to plan ahead for many years of use. There is not as much BBQing where I am from, so my friends are already drooling and requesting shipments.

That Royal Oak combo looks good, does anyone around have one of those to comment on?

looked on line and it is not available at my local lowes....kinda would like to see it in person.

If you habven't bought yet ya might want to look at the oklahoma joes HOS. they have them here at acadamey sports. A good heavy welded plate steel okie joe is around $699 reg price there.

Will do, thanks for the tips!

I'm actually currently investigating building my own. I ahve a very knowledgable co-worker with welding tools and craftman skills. I just bought a plan for $12 and I'm going to investigate costs afterwards.

But that will be another post, and any hints or tips on that will be appreciated!

One thing you said struck a chord. You'd better buy that smoker now while you can because after you buy the money pit that is a home you will not have the werewithall to even entertain the thought of buying a smoker....
icon_mrgreen.gif

If you are moving back to hardwood and or fruitwood country you can save a bundle by going out and getting your own wood which is way cheaper than using charcoal all the time. Make yourself a burn barrel and its almost free. The hills around my home are full of Birch, alder, wild Apple trees from an old abandoned orchard, etc. Plus I have fruit trees on my property. In Orchard country often you can pick up a pickup load of wood for free or really cheaply by just by asking during pruning season. There is even some mesquite just south of here one can harvest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky