3 different flavors CB in cure today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irishteabear

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 22, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Bought a whole loin a couple of months ago and didn't have time to deal with it so I threw it in the freezer. Now that the kids are back in school, I've got time.
icon_mrgreen.gif
Trimmed and cut it in to 4 equal sized pieces. One was cut in to chops that will be for dinner tonight. I used TQ on them and will be smoking them later.

I used equal parts TQ to whatever else I decided to use for each of the CB. The bag gives directions to use 1T per lb of meat so each piece was weighed and then the proper amount of TQ was mixed with an equal amount of additional ingredients.

The first one is using TQ and my rub, the next is TQ and Splenda/Brown Sugar blend, the third one is using TQ and ShooterRick's Snake Bitten Chicken rub (I love the stuff!).

I will be flipping the bags over every day and am planning on doing a fry test on day 5 at the earliest. Might let this batch go to day 7 and see what happens, not sure yet.

This should be a good test, and a tasty one Dawn.
Not sure what your rub is like but I know Shooter's rub is excellent.

Looks like a great start to some good eating
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

jeanie, your gonna end up some perfect CB. You got a good start just let it go for the 7 days then do the slice and taste test. Rinse as you see fit, then smoke. You'll love it.............

Joe

Nice one there dawn Canadian Bacon with 3 differant rubs. This is gonna be good one to watch and you know I will because everydat I hit you with a pill. I'm a vertishal poet and I don't know it.
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

OK, we're waiting......tick tock, tick tock
icon_mrgreen.gif

bout time u got into bacon making Gal-all sounds real good.good luck on it Dawn.

Actually, this is the 4th time I've done it. I lost one post and didn't post one so thought I'd post this one.
smile.gif

Today is day 7 of the CB in the cure. The weather is not cooperating with me, so I'm using the Bradley today. Took them out of the fridge, rinsed them off and did a fry test piece from each one. If they are any indication of how they will taste when they've been smoked, they're all keepers.

Left one is my rub, middle one is the splenda/brown sugar blend, the one on the right is the SBC one.

Here they are after I've reapplied the rub to each one. Same order as above.

Right now they are in the smoker. Using apple and smoking at 220. I'm planning on taking the savory ones to 160 so I don't have to cook them before eating. The sweet one will be taken to 140. I want to use that one for breakfasts and such and will be cooking it with the meal.

Being Canadian, I'd really like to try this one day.

I just need to find out where to buy TQ! Never seen it before.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I had to order mine from Morton as well.
On their site they do have a product locator that might help you find some.
I found I can get it about 45 minutes from me but just ordered it instead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky