3 birds done 2 hrs early..now what?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke-n-g

Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Big Sandy, TN
Hello again all,

My 3 birds are done now, all at or around 170, I am letting my fire die down. I wrapped them in foil to keep them from drying out. Dinner isn't until 4, I was shooting for being done at 3. Can I leave them on the smoker with low heat, or better to wrap them in foil and towels and put in a cooler until I'm ready to cut?

Which is better, or another idea?

Thanks

i was on the phone with djdebi bout this same problem.........

her advice........wrap in plastic to keep moisture in.......and put in oven bout 200 degrees.........

but three hours .......ouch...........mines getting close to being done 2 hours early..........so i feel your pain

d88de

Dude,
Thanks for the reply,

Plastic huh? Saran Wrap? It won't melt in the oven? 200 not enough to melt I guess. I had a bad vision of turkey smothered in plastic just now. Not a good thought.

its not supposed too.........BUT, even if it does.......just peel off the skin.......the wrap will come with it......heheheh

d88de

I don't like saran wrap - it has a strong odor IMHO. 3 hours is a long time! Wrap em, put them in a warm oven low as it will go and turn it off you light be able to get away with no heat for anhout or so then turn it on low again. The plastic holds moisture better than tin foil but in any case it will continue to cook for awhile. Good luck!

Better choice! Saran wrap is not so good a smell for cooking with.

I like that resterant grade stuff at Sam's and BJ's best. It may be tougher stuff too! I know I use tons of it and it lasts forever there's like 3000 feet of the stuff! Get the wider one and save yourself alot of aggrivation!

A little late but...yesterday my turkey was done around 3 oclock. I was told dinner was at 4 so i wrapped her well in foil, stuck her in a tight styrofoam cooler, taped her shut and went to pops for dinner. My brother in law wanted to fry a turkey and was supposed to be finished at 4 so naturally it didnt hit the oil till 3:30 crap. My turkey sat in that cooler for 2 hrs but was still steaming when I opened her up. Turkey was still juicy and all but im sure it suffered a little in there? But all was well anyhow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky