3-2-1 too much?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tatdave

Original poster
May 3, 2018
Granted, I usually make baby backs so that could be the issue, but it seems that going with a 3-2-1 give me ribs that are fall off the bone cooked--a bit over cooked.

Until I get my new Lang 36" which will hopefully will arrive in a few weeks, I'm cooking on my WSM 18". I generally hold between 220-240. (I use my Thermo Pro to monitor temps at the grate level.) Even then, I've typically pulled a few minutes before each step so it's more like--2:45, 1:45, 45. Even doing this, it seems like I'm over cooking a bit.

So, is it the baby backs or should I just move to a 2:30, 1:30, 45 and be happy with it?

BTW, they taste great. My rub and sauce get great reviews. I just want a bit more bite from the ribs.

Thanks.

Reactions: Johnny50 and SonnyE
I just smoke mine until they hit temperature (202F to 205F)...rarely ever wrap them (except to hurry them up)...never pull the membrane...and never use water in the water pan. There are many that do the same on this forum as well.

I agree that 3:2:1 overcooks ribs...baby backs, St. Louis Style, etc. I think they start to taste blanched a bit IMO.

Reactions: Johnny50
For the babybacks I do 2-2-1. After the two hours wrapped they are fall off the bone tender and the last hour helps to firm them up a little.

I understand some folks don’t like fall off the bone but this is what works for my family.

Nothing wrong with doing a different way. Do what works for you and your family.

Weedeater

I'm in a bit of a quandary myself.
I like the 3,2,1, Method. And I like Fall offa da bone tenderness, smokyness, and dem clean bones....
But the rest of the tribe doesn't. They say, Don't mess with the ribs!
So I haveta do them their way on the grill, and do them my way when I'm alone.
If you want to continue doing ribs in the sm00ker, you can find the way you prefer.
But I bet when your new Lang rolls in, you forget all about 3,2,1 ribs.

The main reason I don't wrap is because it just makes it harder to tell when the ribs are done. I run at 275F unwrapped and BB's take about 3 hours and STL's 3.5

Reactions: Johnny50
3-2-1 is meant for 225*. If your smoker is running a little higher then cut back on the foiled portion of the process. Maybe 3-1.5-1. Bite through temp should be in the 195* range.

Chris

Reactions: indaswamp
Since trying Al’s method I have not foiled a rib, and never will again. Try the link he posted and the ribs will have the perfect amount of “pull” every time. They will make everyone happy!

For babies i like to do 250-275 range 2:15-:45-:25 and for st louis i like 3-:45-:25 and i get really tender bite through just about FOTB. If i want FOTB i go another 20-30 minutes on the wrap stage.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks for all the replies. Really, the only reason I foil is it seems like a great way to justify soaking the ribs in sugar, honey and butter! I do use a method similar to the one above. I apply rub about an hour before, smoke dry (no spritzing and no water in the water pan), then foil with a bit of apple juice, brown sugar, honey and butter. After pulling the foil, I sauce them and start the last hour. I sauce again about half way through and up the heat a bit.

I think I'll try 2.5, 1.5, 1 and some spares next run.

is 3-2-1 smoke wrap rest?
3 hours of smoking. 225° heat.
Remove the ribs and place on foil for wrapping, sauce the ribs, and wrap.
2 more hours in the sm00ker oven with the 225° heat.
Remove the ribs, unwrap so the ribs are exposed to the heat.
1 more hour of 225° heat.
Finished.

3, 2, 1 ribs. Delicious! (To me.)
I pre-heat my smoker. During the preheating, my AMNPS tray is also in there to drive out any moisture in the pellets.
For me, the MES seemed to hold a tighter band on the 225° setting.
Anyway, I love my ribs fallin off the bones tender. But not everybody does.
My write up.

The 6 hour wait is torture.

I've always done 3 smoke 2 wrap and let rest doesn't fall off bone but comes off clean when you bite into them always very tender

I've always done 3 smoke 2 wrap and let rest doesn't fall off bone but comes off clean when you bite into them always very tender

And, an hour less of the tummy grumbling. ;)
I recon I could do the home fries and green beans during the 2 hour spell.
I've got a feeling there's some ribs in the near future here....

I have two racks in the freezer haunting me. :D

The challenge in Aus is that smoking is still in its infancy and butchers are even further behind. A pork butt or Boston bun request leaves em looking clueless. When it comes to ribs I've never seen or bought any that weren't basically bone. Every bit of meat is scraped off the top just leaving an anaemic amount between the ribs. So I've found it hard to get ribs exactly right, mine always seem to dry out so i cut them up and soak them in a butter, brown sugar and honey sauce prior to serving. People seem happy (except me)!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky