3-2-1 Spares in under 4 1/2 hours

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
This all came about due to the sticker on the packinging stating " Fresh Pork Whole Boston Butt". My wife picked it up at Winn Dixie for like $3.50, so she saw it as a good deal. I expected it to be a Country Style cut and figured I could do them in 4 to 4 1/2 hours. To my surprise I unfold a nice slab of Pork Spare Ribs.
HMMM, we won't be eating until almost 8:30 tonight
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

I have been wanting to expierment more with 3-2-1, being some people see them as overdone. Of course you can mess with the stages some to get more bite or leave them in the foil longer for more ''fall off the bone."
I have been wanting to try 3.5-1.5-1, 4-1-1 and see how they go, but I did not have the time to work with on this smoke.
I wanted to eat around 7 PM, so on the ribs went, setting the GOSM to slowly acquire 300º. Dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

After about an hour at 300º, I lowered them back down to 250º, my normal smoking temp. At the end of two hours, I wrapped them in foil. Here instead of two hours, they received around 1 1/2, then almost a 1/2 hour removed from foil and on the grate.
Looking at the pull back on the ribs, I was thinking, "you know, they don't look bad.

My wife would be the best judge. She loves the "fall off the bone". Of course she use to par-boil and grill ribs when i first met her
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

Her opinion............They were great!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I had used Hickory instead of oak this time and I notice I don't get quite the smoke ring.........or was it due to less time in the smoker??

At any rate, in just around 4 1/2 hours we were eating ribs that tasted like 3-2-1 ribs.

So did the extra 50º in the first hour do it or are 3-2-1 ribs really over done to begin with.
confused.gif

I dont usually make spares, I prefer baby backs but the few times i did and also I've noticed with BB ribs the times seem excessive. \

I prefer mine with a little bite, not fall of the bone and I don't usually foil and i also keep them closer to 250 then 225.

I think there are so many factors that it is hard to say. How often you open the door or lid to mop or spritz, foil or no foil, the individual size of the racks, the cut of meat, etc.

With ya man... I mean 321 won't FAIL... but it's a guide. I do not time anything to do with ribs any more. Moving away from foiling actually...or working on it ;{) Well done!

Ron, you may be right, possibly this would not work the next time. Who knows, well atleast until I try.
I don't do Baby Backs much, too expensive for us. When I do them, I don't go 2-2-1 like most do on here, I use only 4 hours to finish them.

As to more bite, that was the point for the trials at the different variables to 3-2-1 I mentioned in the first post. Attempting to get alittle more bite, but keeping the wife happy.
wink.gif

interesting take on 3-2-1 ron, with additional info from flash. i have wondered a lil about the same thing, the bite. seems to me that a lil chew is a good thing, the fall off the bone like chicken just not quite appealing. you do any more tinkering with this pass it on. thanks and great lookin spares!!!

I like what I've seen, and I've got faith in you Flash, so my next spare smoke will follow your smoke. I'm not worried, I'll be feeding the ribs to Gloria's family. Keep that on the down low.

Good looking spares Flash. I'm also starting to experiment...using 3-2-1 as a guide. I'm finding that 2hrs is just too long in foil. I like mine with a little pull as well, not falling off the bone completely. Last ones I did were 2.5-1-.30....then on a hot grill for about 10 minutes mopping with sauce the whole time. These came out great so I'm gonna try that again soon.

Wife and I drove up to Dillard Ga yesterday for the Bluegrass and BBQ festival...it was really hot but we had a good time and got to see the mountains in their summer glory. We were able to sample some damn good bbq while we were there and actually hung out with ole Myron Mixon and his crew for quite a while and ate alot of his brisket (no pork or ribs left). He and Dobey are hilarious together and really nice guys.

Steve

Looks great Flash and I have been playing with times some too but haven't adjusted temps yet.

FYI. The 300º was an acquired temp over that hour, not at 300º when I put them in.
I've always tell everyone it is a guideline and I am hoping to end up with alittle more bite to the ribs, even if I have to do one slab for me and one for her.
wink.gif

Those ribs look great! I haven't done spares yet, but have cooked babybacks a few times. I don't like them falling off the bone, but I do like it where the meat pulls away clean from the bone. 2-2-1 works pretty well for the BBs, I am still working on the best method for my personal taste. All that practice making ribs can be real tough...
wink.gif

Nice looking ribs Flash.

If you want more bite reduce foil time a bit. I'm sure many factors come into play.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

oh, I fully agree there. I am begining to think the major cooking of the ribs happens during part two of 3-2-1. More practice is needed.
wink.gif

I've always thought that the 3 in 3-2-1 was too much for spares. I Do 2-2-1 instead. The spares are done, tender and juicy. I tend to agree with Richtee though that with ribs, time should be scrapped.

I like this report Flash...

I just did my first ribs...and I did 3@225* and 2 in foil @ 250* ....after the full 2 in foil they were almost too done. I added too much baste to them in the foil, so they were fall of the bone BUT everyone luved them anyway.

I was looking for more perfection and I like to get my smoker to 250 - 300 at times, so I will be probably trying this method more than sticking to the full 3-2-1.

I will prob try 2@250 and 1.5 in foil with less basting and see if they need that last step at that time...maybe 30 unfoiled again would do it.

Flash....did you mop?...and what rub did you use?

Thnx again for the info Flash.

It is the braising "part 2", that breaks down the meat ETC, with just about any meat. My mom used braising all the time on lesser cuts of meat to make them tender. That's probably why slow cookers work so well. I my mom's days she didn't have one, they weren't invented yet, so she would do it on the stove in Club Aluminum dutch oven, or in the oven with some water in the pan and covered. She made some mean roast pork, sauerkraut, and dumplings, mmmm.

Looks good Flash..Just a thought but the last time I did BB's I did 6 slabs and cut them in half and in racks as didn't have room for full on the grate. Did the 2-2-1 but at the foil time could not wrap so I spritzed real good and tented and tucked the foil as close to the grate as I could. Wasn't sure how it was going to work out but were very juicy and tender and had a little pull from the bone...just my exp and .02

I've cut back on BB times too, instead of 2-2-1, I use a 2- 1.5- .5

Generally I am going to start backing off on the second stage some. Will try again in a few mork weeks. I think the wife is ready for a Chuck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky