3-2-1 for baby backs??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drb111

Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Are the times the same for baby backs vs. spare ribs? Thanks!

I normally use the 2-2-1 method when I do baby backs just because they are smaller and contain less meat than the spares. Its basically just a guideline, you will eventually be able to tell just by looking at them when its time to move to the next step.

Do a thread search and you will find lots of info regarding your question.

Agree with Joe, 2-2-1 for bb and they are just an estimate. With practice you can just take a peek and know by the pullback of the meat and the droop of the rack when you pick it up.

Actually I like 2 ½ - 1 1/2 - ½ for BB. Alot depends on how much fall off the bone you like. Less time in stage two will have them have alittle more bite to the rib.

ya play with 2-2-1 best part is gonna take a few trips-it's all good.

I didn't make tender ribs until I tossed the timer and watched for the "Pull". I smoke at 225/250 until 1/4" pull, wrap and splash until 1/2-3/4" pull. unwrap and sauce for "awhile" (45-60 minutes)

Like more meat on the ribs..so I use spares more than BB's. 3-2-1 is the way to go...apple wood and apple juice in the pan. I do 210 as a guideline depending on the outside temp. Here in Ohio that can very greatly depending on Mother Nature.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky