3-2-1 foil wrap question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

niloroth

Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
philadelphia pa
So, this weekend i am doing a bunch of ribs, and was planning on the 3-2-1 method. My question is, has anyone ever had any luck with putting the ribs into foil containers instead of wrapping the ribs individually? I have wrapped the ribs in foil other times, and while it works great, it seems like 1) a waste of a lot of foil, and 2) rather time consuming. So i was wondering if it would work to get some foil trays, place multiple ribs in them, add the liquid, then seal them up, and then put those in the smoker. Less time, less waste, easier to work with.

If no one has had any luck with this, I may have to split my ribs into 2 batches and do some each way. I will let everyone know how it works out, but i figured i would ask first.

Thank you.

I have seen that done before. and should work fine. I see no reason for it not to. I have been wanting to do the same. but have never done that many ribs at once to call for it. I would not put that much liquid in. just spirtz each slab real good before laying in pan. good luck

I do it all the time. I buy a big pile of foil pans from Sam's club in the spring and use them all summer. Just lay all your ribs in there like coyote suggested with a spritz to each, seal the top real good with foil. I use only heavy duty foil for all my BBQ needs if possible. The only problem I have with it is I don't have a cooler big enough to put a blanker wrapped pan in, so I just do what I can and add more blanket on the top.

Niloroth,

I use the foil pans occasionally when I do 3-2-1 and, in my opinion, it works just as good as wrapping them in foil.

I just splash on a little apple juice or whatever juice I have in the fridge and cover them with a piece of foil across the top.

Works like a charm.

I even put a couple slabs in the same pan to save time and it works fine.

I've done it in the past. If foiling works for you and it is your preferred method, I would suggest going to those restaurant supply houses and buying those full length pans that could take several racks of ribs at once. In the long run the cost of those pans will offset multiple purchases of disposable aluminum pans.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Wow, thanks for the prompt replies. Flash, you cracked me up.

Now i just need to figure out if i want to go with spare or baby back, or both.

And i have to hope that my smoker keeps temp at about 30 degrees.

You can do it! IF it's windy, you might need a wind break.

I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow with my MES and it's only supposed to get into the "teens".

i just did some last weekend andput them in a pan for the "2" portion, check out my post ribs!!!!!!! and you will see how they turned out
just put some apple juice in the pan and seal with foil, it works great

ain't that the truth. sam's club sells some nice ones, not to deep and will last a life time. unless you have kids and a wife.lol.

i agree on the restaurant pans..they are long enough and you can put many ribs in one. I got mine off Ebay cheap

Another quick question if i could. I know for spare ribs the time is 3-2-1, and baby backs 2-2-1, but what about spares that have been trimmed to St louis style?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky