3-2-1 didnt work so well

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crackhead

Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
I gave the ole 3-2-1 a shot for the first time.. I used a variation of the Maigic Dust rub recipe and rubbed 'em and let 'em sit in the fridge overnight.. 3 hours at 225-250 over hardwood lump, 2 hours wrapped, and 1 more hour to finish.. Tasted great, just werent too tender.. I might have a couple of reasons why.. 1, they werent real meaty to begin with.. They were from a pig that we got butchered.. 2, they've been frozen for 3-4 months.. Were gonna try it again with some store boughts and see what we come up with..

did you put any liquid in the foil for the part 2 of the cook? did you spray the ribs with any kind of liquid throughout the cooking time?

3 hours could have been a little too long for your particular ribs and maybe they cooked too long...

Sprayed 'em w/ wally world apple juice 3-4 times during 3, pretty good at the beginning of 2, and maybe twice during 1..

The times are only guidelines. You should put the ribs into the foil as soon as the meat pulls back about 1/4 inch from the ends of the bones. Then take them out of the foil when the ribs begin to feel real flexible inside the foil. The last hour is just a time to firm the bark back up and to add sauce if so desired.

Yeah, I understand that part.. The meat pulled back 1/4" or so before I foiled 'em.. Ive never really cooked ribs like this before, so as far as them feeling "rel flexible", I really didnt have anything to compare 'em to.. Maybe it was just a fluke.. Were going to give 'em another shot next week.. They were rather tasty though.. There was a bottle of Cattlemans on the table, and out of the 4 people eating, no one even looked at it..

Did ya remember to peel the membrane off?
icon_confused.gif

Try some more from the store and look them over to make sure they are meaty. Have had butchered ribs myself and the butchers around here don't leave much meat on the ribs. As for pealing the membrane I dont and get tender ribs using a variation of the 3-2-1. I am going to try pealing them and see the differance.

wal-mart always has a decent selection of good meaty ribs, at least they do here in Pa., i have yet to actually go a full 3-2-1 it always seems to be a little different each smoke, and other then the very first ones i did they have always broke in half when i would remove them from the cooker.

Hi Crackhead -

My last batch of ribs from WalMart were not the best. One was really great the other was flossy. Juicy, tastey but little meat and stringy. I just grabbed the only two left and sometimes what's left is not great.

I have never had bad ribs with the 3-2-1 method. Granted some have been better than others depending on how good the ribs were to begin with. Depending on the guest we have, i adjust times to make them really fall off the bone or remain on and stay alittle more chewy. I do try to remove the membrane, but rarely get all of it off. Remember, 3-2-1 is not written in stone.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky