2nd try at Capicola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
This is my second attempt at making capicola a.k.a Gabba-gool.

I started out with the brine.
1C Morton Tender Quick dissolved in 4C water.
Then, I injected a boneless shoulder until it was so plump I couldn't fit anymore brine inside, placed in a gallon bag and brined for 3 full days, turnin g several times a day.

On the third day I removed from the brine, rinsed and did the fry pan test. All was good so I mixed up the rub. No measurements but it was crushed red pepper, paprika and a chipotle for a little something extra.

Rubbed it up and tossed on the smoker, 225 over cherry.

Once it hit 155 I pulled off, removed the netting and let sit until cool enough to go into the fridge overnight.

Cut off a few slices for tasting, man I need to invest in a slicer!

It was tasty, delicious and yummy all mixed into one.
The chipotle added to the rub gave it such a wonderful flavor, next time I'll add even more.
Writing this makes me want to go back and slice off some more.
I hope you enjoyed my cap thread nearly as much as I enjoyed making it.

That looks totally awesome fire. I like that idea with the red peppers, and chipotle seasoning adds just a good amount of heat. Great Job

That is Shweeeeeeeet!

babysmall.gif

nice "fire it up". looks great.

I am thinking of tackling one of these very soon, and have a few questions.

If I cant find tenderquick, will a basic salt & sugar brine work? or are the nitrates in the tenderquick necessary for the curing process?

thanks for any help

Man that looks awesome! Got my mouth watering for a slice
Great pics too
Thanks

Hey FiU, real nice capicola! Wow, now I want to make some. Got to get me one of your cool stainless injectors, too. Excellent post, and thanks for sharing another success!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Man if that tastes half as good as it looks...awesome. For sure a slicer needs to be in your future. That looks like it'd be great sliced paper thin and served up on some samiches.

Were you camping?

points.gif
for a thing of beauty.

Don't know how I missed this. Great job, I could almost taste it.
points.gif

Great looking capicola! I'll have to try that for my Italian wife!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky