2nd Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
West Liberty, Iowa
 I did 3 tri tips averaged roughly 3 pounds each at $4.49 a pound last weekend.

All I added was a couple pinches of sea salt, a couple pinches of fresh ground black pepper, a couple pinches of garlic powder, a splash of apple juice, and hickory for the smoke.

I placed the pan with two tri tips on the top shelf and the single tri tip on the second shelf. After 2 hours 45 minutes the top two were 150⁰and the bottom one was 160⁰. I turned the cook temp down to 140⁰for roughly 20 minutes before removing all three tri tips and double wrapping them in foil for their 20 minute rest in the cooler.

The tri tips are always a huge success with dinner guests, but I think the 5-10⁰ extra took away from the flavor. I was surprised these weren’t as good as my first try. Still, I think this is without a doubt the easiest smoke I’ve ever done and quite tasty. It is worthy of repeating.

Prep time about 10 minutes

Smoke time 2 hours 45 minutes at 225⁰

Hold time at 140⁰20 minutes then I double wrapped the meat in foil and towels before letting them rest in a cooler for 20 minutes

icon_cool.gif

When I'm smoking beef like that tri-tip or a sirloin tip roast I only take mine to maybe 135°-140° but I like mine more on the rare side too.

I did two tri tips last night for out of town guests and they raved about them.  I smoked them to 140-145.  By doing this I get some meat that is more done on the ends and less well done in the center, pleases everyone that way.  It only takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes at 275 degrees.  Tri tip does not seem to need the low and slow method.  I also get the meat close to room temp before I put it on.  I use a marinade of Wishbone lite sesame and ginger dressing followed by a rub of chili powder, salt, cinnamon, cumin and red pepper.  Really has a great taste with a small bite to it.

i have had good reviews with...

smoke at 225° til i hit 140°... then rest in a foil wrap for about 45 mins out of smoker.......... then grill for about 5-10 mins on a very hot flame to get some crust, slice (against grain of course) and then return to juices accumulated during resting

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky