2nd Smoke of the Season (q-view to come)

Discussion in 'Pork' started by schoolbob, Jul 4, 2009.

1. schoolbob

schoolbob Newbie

So it is 2:30am in Denver Colorado, with a cool breeze and some light, passing, rain showers. I just put on my 8 pound pork butt on a bed of hickory, walnut, pecan and oak. I massaged the shoulder with a nice rub recipe using all freshly ground spices from a local spice shop 24 hours before I put it on. In addition to this, I will be putting on some beans on the smoker at around 10am, and finishing up my corn on the grill and churning my homemade (custard-based) vanilla bean ice cream.

I want to thank everyone for all of help and advice that I have read on these forums. This is only my second season of smoking and so far, I am really enjoying it. The information I have gathered here is invaluable.

I am sorry, but I forgot to take some pictures before the butt went on, but I will post some up next time I open up the smoker.

Speaking of my smoker, it is a vertical gas smoker from Lowe's. I have read about problems with these gas smokers not getting hot enough, but mine must have a good quality burner on it. If I wanted to, I could get it up past 325 degrees. It has two side vents and one on top. the temperature is usually pretty steady so the only thing I need to do is to add more wood chips every couple of hours. I couldn't be happier with it.

2. schoolbob

schoolbob Newbie

Here is the start of the smoke and a shot of the unit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like you have the makings of a great meal there Schoolbob, Keep the Q-view coming.

4. indyadmin1974

indyadmin1974 Smoking Fanatic

Lookin' good! Don't you worry about the Perfect Flame you have there. I have it's older brother from Lowes (called BBQ Grillware) and have been able to keep the temps maintained w/out issue (high or low)

Keep the Qview comin'!

5. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice start on the butt! Sounds like a beautiful morning for ya in CO. Happy 4th of July and enjoy the grub!

6. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks for the shot of yer butt Bob [​IMG]