2nd Smoke of the Season (q-view to come)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schoolbob

Original poster
May 26, 2008
So it is 2:30am in Denver Colorado, with a cool breeze and some light, passing, rain showers. I just put on my 8 pound pork butt on a bed of hickory, walnut, pecan and oak. I massaged the shoulder with a nice rub recipe using all freshly ground spices from a local spice shop 24 hours before I put it on. In addition to this, I will be putting on some beans on the smoker at around 10am, and finishing up my corn on the grill and churning my homemade (custard-based) vanilla bean ice cream.

I want to thank everyone for all of help and advice that I have read on these forums. This is only my second season of smoking and so far, I am really enjoying it. The information I have gathered here is invaluable.

I am sorry, but I forgot to take some pictures before the butt went on, but I will post some up next time I open up the smoker.

Speaking of my smoker, it is a vertical gas smoker from Lowe's. I have read about problems with these gas smokers not getting hot enough, but mine must have a good quality burner on it. If I wanted to, I could get it up past 325 degrees. It has two side vents and one on top. the temperature is usually pretty steady so the only thing I need to do is to add more wood chips every couple of hours. I couldn't be happier with it.

Here is the start of the smoke and a shot of the unit.
acbb46be_vbattach21819.jpg

4f565a20_vbattach21820.jpg

6c620ea1_vbattach21821.jpg

Sounds like you have the makings of a great meal there Schoolbob, Keep the Q-view coming.

Lookin' good! Don't you worry about the Perfect Flame you have there. I have it's older brother from Lowes (called BBQ Grillware) and have been able to keep the temps maintained w/out issue (high or low)

Keep the Qview comin'!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky