2nd smoke, lessons learned, sorry no Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toddb

Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Raleigh, NC
So with my first smoke under my belt, baby backs last weekend, I decided to smoke again yesterday. This time it was a 4.5 lb Boston Butt and Dutch's Beans smoked with hickory.

While everything tasted fantastic, the meat came up to temp much faster than expected. We reached 200* in about 4 hours. I was expecting something closer to 6 hours based on the 1.5 hours per pound standard. There was a smoke ring but it was pretty thin. I think if the temp was lower, the smoke ring would have been thinner and maybe tasted even better.

I used the method laid out in the sticky here on the Pork forums.

So my question to you all is this...how do you control the temp on a Brinkmann Gourmet Electric?

BTW - Dutch's Beans...HOLY CRAP THOSE ARE GOOD!!!!!! Easily the best baked beans I have ever had!!!!

I appologize for the lack of QView, I will try to do better today when I try my hand at smoking some scallops and shrimp!!!

Anybody have tips or comments? I'm really confused by the quickness of the smoke.

No worries, that unit is pre-set at 245* which is a fine temp.
You had a small butt with not much fat and it just cooked fast.
The 1 1/2 per lb is just a guide, every piece is different.
wink.gif

Make sure the pan is filled with hot water or even sand, no long extension cords, and use chunks on the rocks for better smoke!

Thanks ya'll. The article that BBQG linked to was exactly what I was looking for. Lots of good information.

Bubba, I forgot that I did run out of water at one point. Of course it was because my wife spilled a little trying to throw another chunk on. I can't blame her, I did the same thing last weekend.

Fortunately for me, I was a troll on SMF long before I started smoking. Your collective knowledge allowed me to skip the mistake of using chips and putting the smoker on an extention cord. I've got a couple bags of chunks (hickory and mesquite) and I keep it close enough to the house that I can plug it directly into the outside outlet. Oh, and I keep a fire extinguisher close by!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky