2nd attempt BB's with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpopovitz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Central Indiana
So this is my second attempt at smoking BB's all in all they turned out well.  A bit salty for my taste but none of the guest complained and in fact most has second so that is good.  I had some challenges today.  One was that the handle on the smoker door broke the previous night.  I don't think this was poor craftsmanship, it got bent moving the smoker in the garage and when I attempted to straighten it broke. I ran out of brown sugar(DOH!!!). I think I definitely pushed the smoker to the capacity limits.  I have the masterforge and I did 6 racks of BB's 2 fatties and some beans.  Also I foiled some hot dogs for the kids that don't' like ribs. 

First pic ribs all rubbed down and waiting for Brown sugar to "melt"

My rib rubs was simply some kosher salt and "Emerils Essence"  I make my own essence from a recipe and I usually back off on the salt from the recipe. I used the 2.5 - 2 - 1 method.

7e5c169e_DSC_9410.jpg

Here are the BB's all loaded up.

2f6fe3e1_DSC_9419.jpg

Ribs are all foiled, fatties in, beans in.  As you can see it's definitely cramped in there.

1587cb12_DSC_9421.jpg

Finished ribs. 

9b796aab_DSC_9424.jpg

Polish engineered door lock

46f9cf49_DSC_9414.jpg

I'm sorry I dint have any pics of the finished fatties.  They were both 50/50 mix of mild Italian sausage and ground pork.  One was Spinach and provolone and the other was caramelized onions, mushrooms, red, yellow and orange bell pepper. 

Next time I think I will definitely back off the salt in the rub a little bit and I also think I will use a 2.5-1.5-1 method.  The ribs were just falling completely apart.

Thanks for looking at the Q.

Last edited:
Great job on it all and where there's a will there's a way

Last edited:
You could of fit more in the smoker. Gotta love a full smoker. Looks like it came out well.

As for the ribs falling off the bone I found that adjusting the foiled time helps the most. I usually do 3-1.5-.75.  

Last edited:
cool.gif

Man oh Man those ribs looks good and I'll take your word on the fatties. I can always think of the fatties that I have in the freezer. Now for you door handle......Is that a slip knot there or a half hitch???

Great job BPop,
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

You didn't waste a lot of room either----Getting your money's worth on fuel.

Bearcarver

Mballi,

I'm afraid my days of remembering the knots I tie are long past.  I believe i used two half hitches to tie it to the door and I just wrapped it around the catch on the smoker body itself.  Luckily I found the manual for the smoker and I have the part # for the door handle.  NOw I just to call Masterforge or maybe I'll just google that PN see what i come up with.  As fas as the fatties,  I'm afraid I cant even give yo umy word.  They were gone before I got through the line. 

BMudd,

I think my first real mod is going to be to add some more shelf supports so I heave greater flexibilty in shelf spacing.  You are correct I could fit more, but I think the fixed shelf supports hampered me.  Maybe some better rib racks other the the Lowe's cheapies would be a good idea as well.   

Definitely a loaded smoker!  I've backed my foil time back to 1 1/4 from even 1 1/2 hrs for the same reason.  I prefer the meat on the bones with a slight tug when you bite into them.  Just keep adjusting until you find "your" sweet spot!  Thanks for the Great Qview!

Looks like a great smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
A full smoker is a happy smoker
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky