25 LBS. of Belly Bacon W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txbigred

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Atascocita, TX
All this talk about bacon I figured I needed to make some. I bought 2 skinless bellies from Super H Mart, it's a Korean grocery store, they've got stuff in there I never even heard of,...including Durian fruit ( that stinky fruit).

On the counter in the cyrovac:

In the meat lug with the Morton's sugar cure & brown sugar:

After 10 days, washed and soaked for 1 hour and into the smoke house:

After drying for 1-2 hours at 110F, I started the smoke using Hickory sawdust. My smoker is in my garage, and I have it vented out the side:

After about 14 hours at 135F, they were at 128F internally:

After a overnight rest in the fridge, I took them out to slice:

Cut in half to fit on my slicer:

Started to slice some, and did a fry test, Man-O Man is it good!!:

What I got from 1/2 a belly:

Hope you enjoyed my Qview as much as I'm going to enjoy this bacon
icon_mrgreen.gif

Dave

man I wish i could get pork belly here. I need to check on another butcher from another town. My local butcher here has terrible customer service and won't sell me a belly without slicing it..lol...he just tells me "that's how we do it". I still can't figure out how he stays in bussiness. oh well.. Nice bacon it looks great.

That looks awesome nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

First of all... Awesome!!

Second.. what kind of smoker is that? It's looks like a monster! A really cool... awesome monster but a monster none the less. I love how you have it indoors but vented. Have I said "awesome" yet?

Third... I'm sure this is a dumb question.. but your call it Belly Bacon... Is there another kind? I guess it could be Canadian bacon? I don't know??

Any way... Awesome!!

I called it belly bacon because a lot of people on here make buckboard bacon out of a pork butt.

Thanks for all of the kind words from everyone!!

DAve

great idea....i've been scrounging around the used rest. supply for simmilar set up.

Damn! Fine looking bacon there, the real deal...

A couple questions for you, if you don't mind. What's the unit price on those pork bellies, and considering you started w/ a gross weight of 25# - what was the final yield in lbs. of bacon strips?

Thanks!

That looks great...my dad and his oldest brother are both WAY into good bacon, but I know damn well neither of them have ever made it...
I would love to learn how to do that myself someday, and then share with them of course!
icon_smile.gif

Man thats some great looking bacon there Dave and that set up is for mass producing and bunch of good eats ther too.

Well, the price was pretty high, I called and they told me $1.89 lb, when I got there (30 mile drive) they were $2.59, but they were good bellies. I didn't weigh what they were when done, should have been pretty close to green weight, as it was pretty low temps, and I didn't loose any fat. I'm sure it lost some water though.

Thanks!

Got the neighbors over having BLT's right now

That is an awesome looking smoker.

Your right that is an awesome smoker

As for the bacon that would be made from a pork belly where Canadian Bacon is usually made from a Pork Loin and Buckboard Bacon is usally made from a Pork Butt at least thats what I understand I think
biggrin.gif

Then again some of us use a buckboard bacon cure on our pork bellies but its still made from a Pork Belly

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky