24# CB with lots of Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigjohn565

Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
MI
First off this is my first post but I have been lurking on here for a while.
I have found that you guys and gals have a ton of info and have been very helpful to everybody both newbies and veterans alike!!!!

Well lets get started with the CB!!! Im doing 4 loins about 6 pounds each I started with Ryteks CB recipe but with half the regular salt (I found that using 1/2 you dont have to soak it to make it palletable!!!) then i decided that I would do 2 kinds so to half i added 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp onion powder. (got this Idea from here)

so heres the Q!!!!!!!!!

The loins in the bags after cure process and ready to smoke!!!!

3 slices of plain and 3 of the onion and glaric in the pan for the fri test (I dont need to test but yummm!!!!!) oh and the flavor of the O&G is Awesome!!!

the scewers clean and ready for the CB

I only cut 2 in 1/2 the others will be whole.
heres the 4 1/2's on the scewers

heres the 2 whole ones in the smoker

and now the 4 1/2's and now for 4 hrs of drying at 130 deg

smoker mod extra holes on top to help keep temps cooler (if you noticed i put charcoal in the chip pan I found that it adds to the flavor, helps heat the smoker and starts the chips smoking quicker)

my other mod the flow control to adj the flame!!

well I got 3 hrs untill i put the smoke to them!! its snowing and 26 deg out here in mich!! more Q to come!!!!
Im thinking of putting a coating of honey on 2 of the 1/2's after the smoke is done. what do you guys and gals think?
icon_smile.gif

Looking good so far. How well did it work to vacuum seal your meat in the brine instead of using a zip lock bag? My old vacuum sealer sucked so I couldn't vacuum anything with moisture in it. I just got a fancy dance new one for Xmas and I have not tried it out on anything with moisture. I am anxious to try it out. I want to try it for marinating and to brine my meat.

well its a little tricky you have to use the instant seal button or the cure will go to far and it wont seal it!! for the loins it was a 2 person job 1 to hold the lions over the counter and the other to run the sealer. when just about all the air is out you got to hit the instant seal button(if you have one!! if you dont then just get as much air out and just seal it like you would a starting a new bag) I alway do 2 seals on both ends (had a single seal fail once wapita to clean it up)

youll notice that I make the bags extra long when I put them in the frigd I rool up the extra so the top and sides of the loins are covered with the cure then i put the rolled up part against the side of the fridg to keep it that way!! I also turn them over 2 times a day so both sides get equal time with the cure on top.

well 1 more hr and the TBS wil be started

John

First off welcome to SMF there Big John and would you stop into Roll Call and introduce yourself and we can give you the big howdy we like to give to all the new members. Next you bacon looks pretty darn good to. I cann't wait to see them all done and on a bread with some lettuce and tomatoes. Yumo

Welcome to SMF and nice pics sharing your first Qview... Thanks for the excellent effort!

Looking forward to more of your Qing adventures.

than you all for the kind welcome!! I thought i did the roll call thing in nov but I cant find it!!!

heres the update on the smoke
after 2 hrs i added some more charcoal to keep it going. know I just added some more and the first of the chips. Im using hickory and apple (5 parts hickory to 2 parts apple) and also brought the temp to 155

dont know if you can see the TBS but here it is!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
kind of hard to see it with the snow falling tho!!

Can't wait to see the finished product BigJohn! I like what I see so far. BTW, what part of MI are you from?

Welcome To SMF...

Don't forget to stop by Roll Call and Introduce yourself to us and tell us a little about your equipment and experience.

That will give everyone a chance to properly welcome you...

Great Start on the CB...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

ok here they are after 3.5 hrs of smoke and the bottom 2 1/2's just got a coating of honey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky