20 lb Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

melleram

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Missouri
Well I ground stuffed and smoked 20lbs of Venison summer sausage last weekend, and it turned out awsome.

14 lb venison 6 lb fatty pork butt. smoked at 140 degrees for about 6 hours then 170 degrees for about 4 hours. Took it off at 150 degrees internal temp, I usally run it to 152, but I was too tired to wait for the last 2 degrees. It didnt matter it turned out great.

The old dishwasher smoker did pretty good, I plugged it in and had it heated up to about 180 with nothing in it. Once I put in the sausage it fell to about 140 and just held there. After about 5 hours I decided to jump it up with a couple pieces of ashed over lump charcoal in a pan. That ran the tem up beautifully I had to crack the door to hold it at 170...as the coals burned out I kept inching the door more closed unitl I finally shut it completley, the electric element held that temp the rest of the way through.

It took a little work, I just can break down and buy a MES when I turn out tasty sausage in the free homemade job.
bd9a76e8_vbattach22547.jpg

a12d2c2c_vbattach22548.jpg

Looks good. I need to get some venison so I can make some out of venison and wild hog.

Looks like a nice batch of venison sausage. I smoke alot of venison sausage.....we love the stuff! and bow hunting starts this Saturday. Time to fill the freezer up again. My son and I put 7 whitetails in our freezer last year. That got us around 91#s of ground venison alone plus all of the tenderloins and steaks we got! We love this time of year! Here is some pics. of sausage we have done.
Blza

season starts next tuesday here in MO, and my freezer is empty so I might be flinging some arrows

Good looking sausage! I need to use up my venison before season starts here. Thanks for the inspiration.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

new to smoking sausage but i do have some venison to use up and this sounds good!

just wondering where you get the casings?

thanks!

Now do you think you can share this dishwasher smoker thing. What it is and how it works and stuff like that? I like the sausage too and the beast part is that it venison too you have to love that.

Great looking sausage both of you. It is the second full week of our hunting season here. I may have missed the window on elk here, as we had a few feet of snow in the back country and the elk have likely moved down to private land and winter reserves. We'll see.

Man I am so jealous that you guys are close enough to areas to hunt deer. I love venison but rarely ever can get it here in the city.

evo 9 guy----Where are you located? Your "BIO" doesn't say anything.

BTW: MellerAM----Your sausage looke GREAT!

I get mine at the local deli, you have to ask for them. The ones I buy are fresh, I like them because they tend to be longer.

They also sell some at some supermarkets that are packed in salt. I have found that these tend to be only about 3 feet long.

Both turn out good product.

Sorry its been so long to get back on here. Its an old portable dishwasher. All metal on the inside with high temp paint. I gutted every piece of plastic out of it. The unit is insulated and cool to the touch outside while smoking. I built the shelves in it and thats about it. I orginally just rewired the orginal heating element in it, but it wouldnt get hot enough. So recently I purchased a brinkman converter element and now I can smoke at 250 with the door closed and no extension cord or under 200 with door cracked and 100 ft extension cord. i plan on doing 50 lbs of summer sausage in one batch in a month or so...It should be a great undertaking!

By the way I killed that guy in my Avatar 5 days after my original post!!

Just got 51 lb of venision back from the locker today. I hated to send it for processing but we weren't prepared for the warm weather this season.

I will turn all of that into various forms of summer sausage. Jalepeno spicy, regular mustard seed garlic and my personal favorite black and red pepper summer sausage.

My question is I rarely ever add any fat to the mix as I don't care for fatty summer sausage. Those of you who use fat do you think it adds any flavor or just to consistancy?

Good looking buck by the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky