20 lb. Turkey for Church Thanksgiving Dinner (w/ Gravy) -- the first of 3 this season!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
'Tis the season!  Had our church TG dinner tonight.  The turkey was demolished!  I started with butter, salt & pepper.

768d7d47_ABTs4.jpg

Then into the Weber kettle for some indirect heat/smoking attention.  I used ash wood.  I always start breast side down to let the juices run toward the breast meat, then "flip the bird" when there is about one hour left for the smoke.

2e4eb039_ABTs2.jpg

Here it is right before the flip.  Temps in the Weber held perfectly at 250* all through the smoke.  I made a custom grate years ago to fit down between the coal bins and into the drip pan (liquid love for the gravy!!!).  I took it out when it hit 180* internal temp.

b1155fe4_ABTs3.jpg

Here it is resting and waiting to be carved for the congregation.  All I can say is there were NO LEFTOVERS!  And I could really go for a turkey sandwich right now!!!

The only good news is that my wife will turn the carcass into her most excellent, phenomenal turkey soup within the next few days!  Can't wait, honey!  I'll post that culinary awesomeness when the time comes.

icon_cool.gif

Very nice there Doc I like the bird and I bet it tasted really awesome too.

I am working also this thanksgiving and weekend, but after seeing this, my wife will just have to buy a frozen one or two for later!  Nicely done 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Good looking bird!  Maybe a sandwich made with sourdough bread?
biggrin.gif

Great looking bird. I've got 9 of them waiting to go into the smoker today. Hopefully mine turn out like yours. Have you brought smoked food for the congregation before? I bet you were the talk of the church with your smoked bird. haha

Great looking bird. I've got 9 of them waiting to go into the smoker today. Hopefully mine turn out like yours. Have you brought smoked food for the congregation before? I bet you were the talk of the church with your smoked bird. haha
9??!!!  I bow to the master turkey smoker.  Yes, that bird was the belle of the ball last night!

Very nice.  Glad the crowd enjoyed.  Love the bondage truss on the wings.  Does that even out the cooking temps on the back area?

keeps the wings from getting burned and they provide a nice stand for the bird when I flip it at the end.  These were tied too close together -- a little space between is optimal.

Aw Man !!!!

That color is awesome!

Even has grill marks!

I think if I made that, it would be at least semi-skinless a couple minutes after removing it from the smoker!

Can't help myself!

Thanks for the Great View,

Bear

Looks great.  I'm going to be smoking a turkey for the first time (2nd time ever smoking too).  My turkey is 20 lbs too.  I see you smoked at 250*....can you tell me how long it took?

Hey doc ,

Nice looking turkey.

What was your internal temp when ya started and how long did it take to get the bird out of the danger zone??

Great looking bird - I am with Keith - give me a couple slices and some sourdough

That is a great looking bird!  That's the one downside when it's so good, there's no leftovers for a sammie which is my favorite...a little mayo, salt & pepper, ok never mind...lol 

That is a great looking bird!  That's the one downside when it's so good, there's no leftovers for a sammie which is my favorite...a little mayo, salt & pepper, ok never mind...lol 

Hey Dean !!!!!

Don't ever stop in the middle of a sammie!

.......and lettuce & tomato !

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky