2 Stage wings? Thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
OK... so I am planning on doing some wings for Super Bowl, and my idea is to smoke them on Sat., put them in the fridge overnight, then on Sunday put them into a 400° oven to reheat and crisp the skin. Then toss with sauce and enjoy.

Has anybody ever tried doing this? Questions? Comments? Snide remarks?
biggrin.gif

doesnt sound like a bad idea, you may want to under cook them just a touch in the smoker so you dont dry them out in the oven.
either that or sauce them , then put them in a covered pan in the oven to warm them

I have used the night before method on chicken wings before and have had mixed results.If the wings are larger than average than there is still a chance they will be juicy the next day.I have had some before that were a little on the skinny side and they were a little dry by the time I heated them up again.Another problem to look out for is the amount of smoke flavor seems to increase as the wings sit in your fridge overnight,so be careful because all your food in your fridge can come out smelling like smoke.When I warm the wings up the next day I will cover them with some foil and put some beer in the bottom of the pan to help keep them moist.If none of these ideas help I just keep serving beer until they taste good.

I have had great luck with smoking the wings on low for about an hour - this just gets the smoke flavor in them.
Then the next day I fry them then toss with sauce.

SmoFried is really good.

Why not cold smoke (<40*) them on sat for a few hours then drop them into a deep fryer to cook/crisp them up, then toss with sauce.

~~EDIT~~

Didn't notice your post igolf!

SO

What He said ^^

what some of the others have said. smoke em, then the next day fry em some naked and some batterd. then slosh in sauce, rubs. I am sure you will be doing it again.

warming them up in the oven might dry em out some.

But then again. smoking them untill a nice smoke flavor is stuck on the wings. then the next day in a foil pan. put em in.. then chop some hot green roasted chilis and add to Russian salad dressing pour over wings. heat covered till hot then un foil for a while to impart some crispyness on them.

they sound like they will be good any way you choose.

Hmmmm must have read my mind. I was going to smoke for an hour. Than move to the grill to finish. I am planning a test batch tonight. If I remember to take pics. I will start a thread.

I hate frying anything in the house because of the grease smell, and we do not have an attached garage...and our garage doesn't even have power...so no frying outside with the little fry daddy, and I don't feel like loading up my 30 quart fryer for 2 dozen wings!
mad.gif

Two schools of thought here. I have smoked them for an hour and then sauced and baked them at 400° for 10 min., which turned out ok.

However, the method I use now yields really good results. I can't BELIEVE I never thought of this, but a friend of mine last summer fried some catfish this way...

I season and smoke the wings for about 1 hour. Then I put an old cast iron 3 quart sauce pot right on the grate of my gas grill, and put 3" of oil in it. (a little less than one quart of oil)

Fire up the gasser outside in the garage or in the driveway, then when the oil is up to temp I fry the smoked wings for about 5 minutes, take them in the house and then coat them with the sauce!!

It works awesome, and:

No nasty grease smell in the house, and the wings take on the sauce a lot better when fried as opposed to baked!

Try it - works very well. You can use an old dutch oven, cast iron pan....whatever you have that you don't mind getting blackened a little by being inside the gas grill.

I would smoke them the day before and then fry them the day of just so they don't get all soggy and lose alot of the flavor. So fry and sauce them the day of for me.

Did some once where I smoked them then tossed in the sauce and le them sit in it overnight and tossed in a fryer the next day, delicious.

Unfortunately I do not have a fryer (or a gas grill anymore
biggrin.gif
), and I hate to use that much oil for some wings then have to dump it out.

I am planning some leg quarters this weekend, so I might toss some wings on to experiment and see how they turn out. Might try two methods: 1) put in covered pan with sauce, reheat, then take off foil and let crisp slightly. 2) put unsauced wings on sheet foiled sheet pan at 400 for 10 minutes then toss in sauce.

Some great ideas! Thanks for all the feedback.

I was thinking about doing this too. My thought was to smoke them, then marinate half in jerk sauce and the other half in buffalo sauce overnight. Then re-heat on the grill to give them some char. I'm not worried about them drying out. I think the marinade will prevent it. I'll probably re-toss them in the sauce when they are done too.

I always take my wings and marinate them in Frank's Red Hot and a beer for about 4 hours or so, then smoke them with hickory wood for about an hour. After they cool, I deep fry them for about 5 minutes to crisp them up. Instead of using a deep fryer or anything, I'll just fill a small saucepan with oil about halfway and fry them in batches of 6 or 8 at a time. They always come out super tasty. Many times, I won't even sauce them, just eat them the way they are.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky