2 Pork Shoulders on the UDS - Lots of QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thunderdome

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Casa Grande, AZ
This past Sunday I wanted to cook a pack of Pork Shoulders that have been in my freezer for awhile. I took them out on Wednesday, and let them thaw out in the meat drawer in the fridge.

6889893f_IMG_3628.jpg

I took the shoulders out late on Saturday, covered with mustard, then applied a very generous layer of rub

157ffa12_IMG_3631.jpg

Took out of fridge early Sunday morning, and injected with a mixture of Apple Cider, Apple Juice, Ginger Ale, Apple Cider Vinegar and Black Velvet. Threw them on the smoker with a handful of brown sugar topping off each.

f3a479c4_IMG_3633.jpg

Here is the bigger of the 2. Both were boneless, and I had to tuck under to get some shape to them

49a2cf76_IMG_3635.jpg

Here is the smaller of the 2

60086342_IMG_3636.jpg

This is my new hand pump sprayer for my hourly spritzings. I love it

59294466_IMG_3637.jpg

The surface temp (digital), and the barrel temp. These are growing further and further apart. Maybe need to clean analog one?

21a6518e_IMG_3638.jpg

Instead of traditional foiling, I poured my mixture into this foil pan with some Parkay and Honey, then covered/tented well w/ foil

41c0a5ca_IMG_3639.jpg

Here they are about to go back on (@165)

16a7e354_IMG_3641.jpg

Once they hit 200 degrees, I pulled them and put in microwave w/ a towel for 2 hours

7f481f45_IMG_3644.jpg

Here it is all pulled with the foiling juice poured back over

59450123_IMG_3649.jpg

Macro

6901db1b_IMG_3650.jpg

My wife’s open faced sandwich (sweet baby rays on top)

45396898_IMG_3646.jpg

Here is mine w/ some slaw

def95d0c_IMG_3647.jpg

Money Shot

533cbbd5_IMG_3648.jpg

Reactions: meateater
How did the pan with parkay work out? Did the butter transfer to the pp? I never thought of butter but it sounds awesome. Gotta love this site

Panning for Q is way more effective than panning for gold! Good job man!

Now if ya want some good advice and some pointers, I'm only up the street..

Now thats some pulled pork!
points.gif
 How did the ginger ale work out, that sounds interesting?
In all honesty, i couldn't taste the ginger ale..I just saw it and thought it would add some flavor. I would do it again just because this PP turned out so tasty. The Black Velvet was a nice addition too

How did the pan with parkay work out? Did the butter transfer to the pp? I never thought of butter but it sounds awesome. Gotta love this site
It worked out great. It was just like foiling, except a lot easier. I figured I'd use the same thing to foil as I do w/ my ribs.

Did you get a new camera? because thats some killer looking pork and great Qview nice!!!
Haha, Thanks, Not a new camera, but I do take my food Qview very seriously....NO CAMERA PHONES haha

Panning for Q is way more effective than panning for gold! Good job man!

Now if ya want some good advice and some pointers, I'm only up the street..
Thanks, Likewise

cool.gif

Now that's one fine looking pan of pulled pork you have there Thunder. I really like that money shot it looks so good it could be my plate .......right..

How does that spray bottle work, with say, a liquid that has some rub in it? Does it clog up?
It's a pressurized sprayer w/ a hand pump. I think if you threw some rub in there, it would probably clog the misting tip. Unless the rub was completely dissolved

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky