-2 degree Smoke(Pork shoulder, spares, tips, skirt) w/q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Cold one this am west of CHicago, -2, but at least there is no wind. Trimmed the tough fat cap off a fresh picnic shoulder last night, and then injected it, rubbed it and warpped it for a night in the fridge.

Reapplied rub this am, and got it on @ 6:45 a.m., WSM puffing away, holding temp like it does.

Bought those fresh spares at the store pretrimmed, saved me some work, I like how this markeet tosses the tips, and skirt in the package as well. Rubbed them down, and will put them on around 10:00, Should have the ribs for the first NFL game, and the shoulder for the 2nd. Also doing some beans with the skirt.

air temp:

untrimmed picnic shoulder:

trimmed:

injected and rubbed:

wrapped:

re rubbed:

on the smoker:

wsm:

spares, etc.:

rubbed:

thanks for looking at the prep work, more pics to follow

thanks man

all that snow cover I guess, but no wind that I can feel on my deck which makes it not to bad.

that lamb roast sounds good.

heck yeah, sunny day, but kinda cold.

Spares about an hour from going on. WSM holding the same temp for the last 2.5 hours no problem.

You got me beat my man!!! your's is looking good too...

Too funny a bunch of us will be toughing it out today!!!

thanks

gotta smoke,

luckily I can keep an eye on the WSM from inside,

3 hours in on the shoulder:

spares, tips, skirt:

shoulder flipped:

some more pics

1st tip snack:

spares 2.5 hours:

bigger tips:

shoulder 6 hours:

q-view:

about time to have that first shot of tequila, and crack that first beer. 2nd tip snakck should be about 20 minutes out.

I will take the first shoulder temp at 9 hours. or when i pull the spares off.. approx 3:00 cst.

thanks for taking a look at my cold smoke.

spares(pics later) and the tips were the sh*t, some of the best I have ever done.

shoulder is still on, about 190 degrees after 11 hours. air temp is 5 degrees windchill @ -6. should pull the shoulder and foil and toss in a cooler in about 30 mins.

its all good, football is on, and beer is flowing.

Sounds great.... looking forward to the finished Q-view. Thanks for sharing

thanks dan,

got the pics of the spares, ate almost the whole rack by myself...., just waiting for the shouler now.

just waiting for the shoulder to get to 195, almost there, then its gotta go to the cooler for an hour tic toc, im startin' to get hungry again..
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

finally got the shoulder off, 11.5 hours for 5.5 lbs. wrapped it and it is in the cooler. started temps were -2 now they are 4 degrees with a -10 windchill.

long day, started @ 6:00 getting the WSM going and the meat on.

spares:

spares:

shoulder:

after an hour in the foil in the cooler:

pulled:

pork shoulder was smokey and nice, really easy to pull. spares were some of the best I have done

thanks for looking

Nice smoke.

My wife thought I was a little crazy smoking in the "teens" today, but I showed her you got me beat. Funny how its all gone though!

thanks,

its all worth it, cold or not.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

sadly I only ate a few bites of the shoulder, still full from that rack of spares..

Man oh Man there Jim that is some mighty fine lookin Qview and the food is really good looking too. Great job again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky