2 breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jim p

Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Sorry not what you may have been thinking.  I am smoking 2 turkey breast tomorrow.  Each breast is approx 7 pounds.  Do I time them for 7 pounds or for 14 pounds?

Thank you

Jim

Time for the IT....internal temps.....but I would average it for the 7 pounds.  Make sure you get it to 170*.....food safety stuff again.

Kat

I am thinking 30 min per pound and was curious of the math i would need to get the turkey up to and pull off the smoker at 170*.

Thank you

Jim

I am thinking 30 min per pound and was curious of the math i would need to get the turkey up to and pull off the smoker at 170*.

Thank you

Jim
I agree....about 1/2 hour per pound....what temp are you going to be using?  225* or up?  could take less time with a higher temp in the chamber

Kat

I will be shooting for 225* .  I will plan for 4 hrs, but i will start looking at IT around the 3 hr mark.  It is amazing the time difference between poultry and beef.  

To your original question, the timing would be for one breast plus a little to account for the additional thermal mass in the smoker. IE: if you were going by time alone you'd give it 3.5 hours plus maybe a half hour for the rebound time of putting 14lbs of cold meat in your smoker. It'll likely take at least a half hour to get back up to 225˚. So, in this scenario, you're right on the money with your estimate of 4 hours.

However.....

Turkey in my opinion does a LOT better at higher temps. I run mine at 325+. At those temps I get a 12-14 pound bird done in 4 hours. I do use more smoke wood or a stronger wood like hickory to make up for the shorter ride, but my birds always have plenty of smoke. And tender skin. and moist meat.

I just prefer the texture of a bird smoked at higher temperature. I've done low and slow and feel the meat gets a grainy, almost mushy texture, and the moisture seems to be more infused in the finished product. While a hot and fast bird is more "meaty" and the moisture seems to be between the fibers, allowing it to flow more freely out of the meat into my mouth. :) I know what you're thinking, that the hot and fast method is more likely to dry it out, but this hasn't been a problem, not yet anyway.

Anyway, no matter what you do, get the meat to a safe temperature. If you don't have a probe thermometer go to the store and get one. You can get the bi-metal ones with a dial for just a few bucks. Then you just calibrate it in either boiling water or an ice bath and you're good to go.

yeahthat.gif
x a bunch.  I have only done 2 turkeys...not parts.  But...I wanna see!  Would love to do some breasts in the next few weeks too.

Here is a post from this week.  Guy did a great job and the breast looked amazing.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/142127/turkey-breast-with-q-view#post_992227

Kat

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky